Peratucci 1 Mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Peratucci 1 Mouthpiece

Post by Jim Brewer »

I thought I would put this out there and see if anyone has any information on this. I have looked at the Perantucci website, went through the history there and can find no mention of this. It's clearly stamped: Perantucci 1, with made in Gemany on the shank. I hope someone can help put a history to this piece.
PT1.jpg
While at Shenandoah, Mark Moore suggested I try this mp, and it working really work for lighter work, (solos and orchestra). It played lighter, the upper register would flow easily on the Vaughn Williams Concerto, Meistersinger, Kraft and other works. It also increased my flexibility and response over the old Marzan mouthpiece I was using at the time. It lost power in the lower register, and was uncentered below low C and pedal tones sounded like a pillow was crammed in the bell.

Using the Marzan for heavy work and the Perantucci for solos worked great. I have considered adding another mp to my set, maybe one of Perantoni's 4.4 or 4.8. Any insight here would be appreciated as well.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jim Brewer on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Meinl Weston model 30 CC #147
Pan American Eb 52J
Selmer Paris K-modified trombone
Shenandoah Conservatory '79
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Peratucci 1 Mouthpiece

Post by arpthark »

They changed the numbering system. It's equivalent to the newer PT-36.

More in this link:
viewtopic.php?t=41237&p=358423" target="_blank
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

Thanks arpthark, I had been looking but couldn't find a reference. However the dimensions are dang close. I wasn't sure how accurate my measurements were.
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Pan American Eb 52J
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

Thanks Guys! It's great to be able to get feedback on something like this.

Back when I was a only a dumb college student, I just took my intructor's word and practiced until things worked, then added my my own slant to things and made them work better for me! ( I hope Fred Marzan, Mark Moore and Andy Farnham wouldn't mind that! ) :D
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Pan American Eb 52J
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by Robert Tucci »

Jim,

The mouthpiece you have dates back close to forty years. As mentioned, the PT-1 later became the PT-36 and most recently, the RT-36 for the U.S. market. Bruno Tilz, now eighty-four years of age, is still active in his small shop which is run by his daughter. The PT-1 became the M-1, at least as far as Tilz's producst are concerned.

The current PT-36 or RT-36 was based on the old "36" but moved to modern CNC production years ago. The would be comparing apples to organges. In general and for contrabass tubas, the old models with their light shells are smooth and flexible yet the modern versions more solid. The PT-36 is a rather popular mouthpiece. As mentioned and due to changes in marketing PT becomes RT in the United States. Baltimore Brass and the Canadian Brass Store have the new mouthpieces in stock, including the RT-36.

Bob Tucci
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

Robert Tucci wrote:Jim,

The mouthpiece you have dates back close to forty years. As mentioned, the PT-1 later became the PT-36 and most recently, the RT-36 for the U.S. market. Bruno Tilz, now eighty-four years of age, is still active in his small shop which is run by his daughter. The PT-1 became the M-1, at least as far as Tilz's producst are concerned.

The current PT-36 or RT-36 was based on the old "36" but moved to modern CNC production years ago. The would be comparing apples to organges. In general and for contrabass tubas, the old models with their light shells are smooth and flexible yet the modern versions more solid. The PT-36 is a rather popular mouthpiece. As mentioned and due to changes in marketing PT becomes RT in the United States. Baltimore Brass and the Canadian Brass Store have the new mouthpieces in stock, including the RT-36.

Bob Tucci
Bob,

You are correct on the dating. ( unfortunately, that dates me as well!! ) I picked up this mp on the recommendation of Mark Moore in '76. At the time, I was playing in the wind ensemble, brass choir and orchestra, as well as completing the required levels for my performance certification. It got me through the Vaughn Williams, the Kraft, Russian Easter Overture ( band) the Meistersinger, Fanfare for the Common Man( orchestra ) and played well in all the those settings. A few of those pushed me, the horn and mp hard, especially when the wind ensemble director asked (!!) for more !!
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Pan American Eb 52J
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

That's awesome. You never know who is going to post replies around here!
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

bort wrote:That's awesome. You never know who is going to post replies around here!
It's amazing the type of people we have in this community! I would have never expected Bob Tucci to respond to a simple post like this, but I'm very grateful for the information and the post!!

Thanks, Bob!!
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Pan American Eb 52J
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

Second question about this mouthpiece. Would it be a Euro shank or American? I've been looking at a Laskey 30G or H mp ( doing a lot of band playing now )and realized " I don't have a clue which size it is!"
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Pan American Eb 52J
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Perantucci 1 Mouthpiece

Post by Robert Tucci »

Jim,

The shank size of the venerable PT-1 mouthpiece can be determined on the basis of the attached drawing.
Please have a look at this:

Bob