Schiller / Jim Laabs

The bulk of the musical talk
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Schiller / Jim Laabs

Post by toobagrowl »

Below is my write-up experience with Jim Laabs.

A couple weeks ago I bought a 2-trigger bass bone from Laabs on a certain website. The price was very attractive, and less than half what another seller sells it for.
Anyway, I did the "Best offer" action and they accepted it. I quickly paid for the package and they shipped it off. I then get a phone call from Laabs stating that the one I ordered (nickel finish) is not there but that the regular lacquered brass one was, and was the only one they had in stock. I said "OK" and was fine with it because that was only a cosmetic thing, and was mainly interested in that model of bass bone.

That packaged arrived whithin 3 days, and was perfectly packaged, no damage. Bass bone and case arrive perfect. It plays great, and even came with a few goodies like rotor and slide oil, and a mpc that works well with the horn. I gave VERY good/positive feedback (like usual) to the seller that night after playing a couple rehearsals (on tuba). After a few days playing the bass bone, I did discover a small leak by the main upper tuning slide ferrule. I just applied nail polish on it to seal it up. No biggie.

Fast forward 10 or so days. I noticed the seller still hasn't given me feedback, though he has given everyone else feedback - even transactions that happened after mine. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I was singled out. :? I have 100% positive feedback as a buyer. He accepted my best offer, I quickly paid for it, the phone call went well, he quickly shipped it off, and I gave great feedback soon after it arrived.
Now, I know it is more important for buyers to give good feedback than to receive, but it still rubbed me the wrong way. So I gave a nice little follow-up to my very-nice feedback to the seller :twisted:

I wish that model of bass bone was offered (as well as other models of brass instruments) from other sellers for good prices :idea:
Last edited by toobagrowl on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Schiller / Jim Laabs

Post by Ken Crawford »

Really? Not getting feedback on ebay made it a "bittersweet" experience? You wouldn't recommend doing business with them because you didn't get ebay feedback? Really? Did you send them a note saying something like "hey there, I'd appreciate feedback, thanks" or anything?

I wouldn't recommend jimlaabs based on their lack of customer service. I didn't realize people got so stuck on ebay feedback...
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Please carefully re-read my post. Not really in the mood for 'snippy' comments. :roll:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

kmorgancraw wrote: Did you send them a note saying something like "hey there, I'd appreciate feedback, thanks" or anything?
^...and yes, I did that, too.
BrassKicksArse
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassKicksArse »

As the others said, it's just eBay feedback. It doesn't really mean anything anymore. Just enjoy the horn and move on.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

eBay buyer feedback means nothing unless you are using a new account. I would be more worried about buying from Laabs when it doesn't work out so magically. Any potential customer of that company is wise to make sure they have something else you want, because if the thing you're buying doesn't work out you are not going to get a refund. Store credit only.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

toobagrowl wrote:Please carefully re-read my post. Not really in the mood for 'snippy' comments. :roll:
Yes you are pissed because you didn't get your precious feedback. That is what your post says.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Slow day at the mill?

Does not receiving feedback really ding you from 100%? I thought that percentage just meant the percent of positive ratings, out of the total ratings received.

If not giving feedback screws things up, then I've screwed up a lot of people, since I don't really give a damn and almost never leave feedback, positive or negative.

Glad you like the trombone.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

I have purchased quite a few Schiller instruments from Laabs. Customer service has been very good. And, friendly. Ace
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

toobagrowl wrote: Not really in the mood for 'snippy' comments. :roll:
That leaves me out!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
LowBrassNYC
bugler
bugler

Post by LowBrassNYC »

I've fallen victim to them before. They are notorious for bait-and-switch schemes. Looks like they pulled it on you as well.
Ryan Fisk
———
Meinl Weston 2250TL, 6460, 6450/2
ufonium2
bugler
bugler

Post by ufonium2 »

LowBrassNYC wrote:I've fallen victim to them before. They are notorious for bait-and-switch schemes. Looks like they pulled it on you as well.
Especially since the nickel finish is generally more expensive. You bid on a nickel finish, they "accepted" the bid but then told you it was lacquer? Would you have bid that much had you known it was lacquer?

They tried something similar on me years ago, except it was a totally different model/wrap. I canceled my order.
ufonium2
bugler
bugler

Post by ufonium2 »

bloke wrote:<sidebar>

</sidebar>
You're right. I was basing my comment on comparing the one instrument I could find that Laabs offered in both finishes on ebay ("American Heritage Classic Trombone") and the nickel being more expensive. However, upon reading the actual item descriptions (assuming they are accurate) the nickel model is actually a different (larger bore) trombone, so that probably explains the cost. Of course this discrepancy really only makes the bait and switch worse, if the buyer agrees to accept a different finish and it turns out to be a different instrument altogether :shock:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

And of course there is this...

"Yellow Brass that is Nickel Silver Plated will allow no breakup in the tone-no matter how hard you blow."

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.