Gem found on facebook

The bulk of the musical talk
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Gem found on facebook

Post by sousaphone68 »

I found this gem on Facebook in the tuba players union group.
A great insight into John Fletcher

I
mentioned the 1979 Andre Previn book 'Orchestra' a while ago. Here is the first of John's contributions, there are four or five of these pearls scattered through the book. I'll post each one, in an irregular series.

"For me, as for others I know, the National Youth Orchestra was a wonderful training, a forming point. In the NYO, and at home, I was encouraged to regard music as a hobby which one must pursue seriously and to the very best of one's ability. The thought of going into the profession never really occurred to me at that stage. Then, about my third year of university, I suddenly found something happening to me as - I've been amused to observe - it happens to others who went to university to get proper degrees in proper subjects leading to proper jobs. My degree was in chemistry and natural sciences, followed by a Dip. Ed. I was going to be a teacher, like the rest of the family. Then I had this horrifying thought that the Cambridge University Orchestra would probably be the best orchestra I would ever play in, for the rest of my life. Would I tell my children, with some resentment, that I might have been a very good player? So I decided to have a go at the profession.
I played the horn in Cambridge most of the time, and a little trombone - the tuba was too cumbersome to cart down from Leeds. Cambridge was then the most remarkable centre for amateur music-making. Playing at a very decent level but with great innocence, one could get through an enormous amount of music in a very short time. Always on too little rehearsal, and if anything went wrong we could only smile. But I look round the profession now, at my vintage, and see so many players from Cambridge University, and all people who went there with a vague view of doing a 'proper' job. It's an uncomfortable fact that not many of the music undergraduates at Cambridge were much good at playing. But we were separate from official university music. Fred Karno's army, packing in whatever we could - orchestra, chamber music, playing for pleasure in the privacy of our four walls. One heard remarkable playing, good as well as bad.
On the face of it I'm envious of those who had a proper musical training at music college. All that time doing long notes and arpeggios, tonguing exercises, working on music in practise and theory. I just got up and played things, did what I was good at and ignored - or had to ignore - what I was no good at, which of course is a rather shaky foundation for a professional musician. One lives with that - no proper technical grounding. But having taught for the last twelve years at places like the Royal Academy of Music, I find the time wasted distressing. In theory there is all the time in the world, yet in fact students may just piddle about. I believe that if you're stretched and interested, you can do more in half an hour, packing practise into a corner of the day, getting at it in a concentrated fever, than you can do in a whole day of official time-tables. Those people reading science at Cambridge, who have walked into posh London orchestral jobs, did they really have time to do all those arpeggios properly? Surely they just worked with more intensity and intelligence.
And I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get as much orchestral experience at Cambridge as I would at a music college. In the London Symphony Orchestra we still take on board people who've never played Beethoven symphonies, never seen them, and were never encouraged to see them. That's very, very sad. And there are still fiddle players perfecting the Cesar Franck Sonata which they'll never be asked to play after college. I wonder, does everyone expect to be a soloist? That's hideously unrealistic, so stupid. But there is this tradition, specially among strings, that nobody wants to play in an orchestra. It's awful to think that people are sliding into orchestras because they couldn't play the Franck Sonata or the Beethoven quartets. English orchestral players have certain virtues, like their fantastic sight-reading ability. That comes from necessity, from the way we work. But our training is defective, unbalanced."
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Gem found on facebook

Post by sousaphone68 »

I think I will have to buy this book.
I too had a great introduction to music via the national youth orchestra I really enjoyed my time in the IYO and many of my contempories are now the pros in classical music in Ireland and the UK.
I was only a good military band man who could just about hold down the 2nd tuba chair but it gave me some unique memories and opportunities until engineering took over.
The first chair player introduced me to the playing of John Fletcher in the 80`s and until I read these posts on Facebook I always assumed Mr. Fletcher had been on the traditional orchestral and teaching treadmill.
It goes to to reinforce my personal belief that all the best tuba players started out with either a non related major in college or on a different instrument.
In my limited personal experience every player that has blown me away has started on something other than the tuba.

Here are the next couple of John's contributions to Previn's 'Orchestra'.

"I was still at Cambridge when I got into the profession, and it was staggeringly simple. I was encouraged to try for the tuba job in the BBC Symphony. I arrived in London in all innocence. It was the teaching practise week for my Dip.Ed., and in chemistry that is a terrible hassle – an awful week of filter-papers, rush and chaos. By Friday night to go to London and play some orchestral excerpts to Dorati seemed like a holiday. I played alright – couldn't do it now to save my life – and got the job. There I was, in a job and having to learn it, as happens quite often in England, where musicians are taken on for their potential, as I suppose I was. I was lucky. There was a great exodus of older tuba players, and no middle generation, so young players like myself fell in. Well, I never regarded myself as anything more than a stop-gap. And now some staggering players are springing up. If they'd been around I wouldn't have had a smell of a chance. There are only fourteen full-time orchestral tuba jobs in England, and they are all closely watched. I'm one of the oldest now. The kids coming up, wanting a job, wait for me to be run over by a bus. It's a sobering thought. I'm a believer in meritocracy, and it's not right to keep out better young players. Obviously the future is fairly uncertain."

"We have bouts of musical chairs in London every so often. One person moves and suddenly it's all-change, like stirring up ping-pong balls in a barrel. In 1968 I moved from the BBC Symphony to the London Symphony, from the civil service system of the BBC to the self-government of the LSO. Self-government survives partly by default, partly because it does actually work. People only notice when things go wrong – 'Oh lord, musicians making a mess of their own affairs again!' But I've always been terribly impressed by the wisdom and maturity with which the LSO has made the vital decisions, though certainly I don't agree with everything. An observer at our board meetings would see just how far true democracy can be taken. Democracy is really the abdication by the bone-idle to the few who can be bothered. Orchestras are full of those happy to leave things to others and then moan like hell at what's done. Now, the civil service, as in the BBC Symphony, is where everybody abdicates responsibility to a management, and spends all day getting an acid stomach and crying about 'them' and 'us' – a totally hopeless mentality, it seems to me.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I like it because the tuba player isn't peddling!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Democracy is really the abdication by the bone-idle to the few who can be bothered. Orchestras are full of those happy to leave things to others and then moan like hell at what's done.
Wow....
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

The Facebook group continues to have interesting excerpts posted.

Next chapter, 'Concert, Recording and Other Music'

“I end up a bit schizophrenic, in the orchestra one day and the brass ensemble the next. That is not always easy to do. Even in the orchestra some horrible technical passage will rear it's ugly head, and because you haven't played hard stuff for a couple of weeks you get caught out. I find the switch both puzzling and refreshing. In the chamber ensemble one is constantly stopping down, pruning the sound to a very concentrated one, and breathing in a completely different way. Back in the orchestra, I find it hard to produce the sheer volume of sound, breathing has got very restricted, and that's worrying. I suppose a run round the block and some fortissimo notes before setting off in the morning would help. Then again, coming from the orchestra, where I've been socking out minims, suddenly to go to chamber music, I can sound very rough, a bit uncouth until I get back to a more finely-judged playing. The two worlds are absolute opposites, and I have never heard a tuba player really successfully bridge them. If you're a born chamber player, you can't make enough noise for an orchestra, enough weight of tone. And an orchestral player stepping into a chamber group sounds rather crude and overbearing.
I very badly want, if possible, to keep both kinds of music going forever. You see, the sound of just brass would drive you mad after a while. The Philip Jones Ensemble, the big group, did a four-week tour of the East, producing a variety of noises, but all of us were getting more and more dissatisfied. I got back to England and went straight to an LSO rehearsal – Christmas carols with Julie Andrews – and I sat back glowing with pleasure at the sound of strings. A wonderful sound, a string section, if you are a brass player and have been deprived of it for a while.”