1974 Mirafone 186 receiver

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Bradley
bugler
bugler

1974 Mirafone 186 receiver

Post by Dan Bradley »

Hello,

I have a 1974 Mirafone (spelled with an "f") 186 CC (4 valve). I love the horn, but the receiver on it seems a bit strange. My euro-shank mouthpiece sticks out pretty far, causing the upper harmonics to ride pretty low. I have read that these vintage Mirafones with an "f' were made for the American market. Do you think that this has an American-shank receiver, or is it some weird medium size? I use a Parker mouthpiece, so I want to try an American shank when I go to the Army conference next week, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this issue.

Thanks,
Dan Bradley
Springfield, VA
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Re: 1974 Mirafone 186 receiver

Post by Kirley »

My MiraFone 186 uses an American shank. It's definitely not euro size.
Pretty sure it's the original.
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

The older Mirafones take an American shank. I've encountered several with receivers that needed reaming, however. It was suggested to me that they did not use a Morse taper system and the end of a standard American shank mouthpiece tends to "wobble" in those receivers. Not surprisingly, the older Mirafone mouthpieces fit those horns perfectly (and virtually no others!).
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Your horn should accept a standard 'American' shank mouthpiece. The receiver is an integral part of the mouthpipe with a sleeve over the outside. Sometimes the 'receiver' portion of the mouthpipe gets dented or out of round slightly... a mp can wobble s bit. The taper can be cleaned up a bit but there isn't enough material there to comfortably enlarge it for s Euro-shank mp to fit to the recommended depth.

I have removed the receiver portion of those leadpipes and installed a King 2341 receiver with great results.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Bradley
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Bradley »

This is great information. I really appreciate the help! I will be looking for a new shank at the Army Conference.

Cheers,
Dan Bradley
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

My new, 1965, 186CC 5V, with the original lead pipe, takes an American shank mp. I tried a Euro mp and it stuck out too far.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

Mirafones in that era had a slightly different taper. I used to make shanks with the exact taper but American is "close enough."

I don't think it will do much for the flat high range, that's a different issue.
Dan Bradley
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Bradley »

This is a late follow-up, but I did learn something at the Army Conference when testing this out. Basically, we discovered that I already had an American shank...but it was still sticking out too far. I ended up getting a short-shanked English-style shank (old Besson style), and it fit perfectly! I have no idea why this vintage of 186 has this strange mouthpipe, but the setup that I have now works so much better, and the pitch on the horn has improved drastically. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks,
Dan Bradley
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

there are multiple types of "American" receiver...
there's a kind where Helleberg/Bach/King mouthpieces need a smidge of teflon tape not to wobble but premium mouthpieces are usually okay.
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

bloke wrote:Model 186 C tubas made a few years earlier than that (later 1960's) had larger mouthpipes with slightly larger (still: "standard shank") receivers.

Right around 1974, the mouthpipe tubes themselves were smaller, and the receivers were slightly smaller. I personally view those mouthpipe tubes as the "best ever" that Miraphone ever stuck on the model 186 C (opinion).

As your mouthpiece was made by Houser, you can purchase a smaller o.d. shank to fit it.
This is an interesting discussion for me I've got a Miraphone 186 CC that from the serial number seems to have been made in 1974. The horn seems to play well, and intonation is pretty good, but the JK 2A mouthpiece I use does appear to stick out farther than it should, and there is a slight amount of wabble. As it stands now I'm following the adage that if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I have suspected that the mouthpiece and receiver weren't an exact match. If given an option to get something similar in Rim cup and backbore etc. to the Joseph Klier that fit the receiver better I would probably invest in it.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

bloke wrote:1/ IGNORE how much of the mouthpiece is exposed past the large end of the receiver.

2/ ONLY PAY ATTENTION TO how close the small end of the mouthpiece is to the choke point (end of the receiver's reducing taper / beginning of the mouthpipe's expanding taper).
Thanks for the advice, with this in mind I did a little checking and the Lip inside the receiver is about 1 & 3/8" from the exposed end of the receiver. The JK and a Parrantucci MP that I have here only go in a little over 1/2" while a Bach, a Conn Helleberg, and a Blessing that I have here all insert about
1". Are the JK and the Parrantucci mouthpieces I have a different taper than the others? How does the large gap between the lip inside the receiver and the end of the mouthpiece effect the sound?
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Paul Scott wrote:The older Mirafones take an American shank. I've encountered several with receivers that needed reaming, however. It was suggested to me that they did not use a Morse taper system and the end of a standard American shank mouthpiece tends to "wobble" in those receivers. Not surprisingly, the older Mirafone mouthpieces fit those horns perfectly (and virtually no others!).
My early-70's "Bessophone" does the same thing. Maybe one day I'll get the receiver changed out - or not.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

I have a 1968 Mirafone 186 that does the same thing. I am using a Miraphone TU-29 mouthpiece, and although it sticks out a bit further than I feel it should I have experienced no problems with playability of the horn.
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

I’ve come into a186 5u from 1973. My Americans shank blokepiece sticks out further than I think it should. Imperial shank maybe? Bloke? Horn in shop or I Would try it.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I agree with Doug Elliot. My @1971 receiver on my Bessophone is the older style. An American shank fits. Occasionally it wobbles, but is worn enough that it has conformed to my blokepiece Imperial, and so it is not worth changing at this point.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

iiipopes wrote:I agree with Doug Elliot. My @1971 receiver on my Bessophone is the older style. An American shank fits. Occasionally it wobbles, but is worn enough that it has conformed to my blokepiece Imperial American shank, and so it is not worth changing at this point.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.