Kanstul vs Yamaha vs BMB: Need help choosing a portable CC

The bulk of the musical talk
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Kanstul vs Yamaha vs BMB: Need help choosing a portable

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

BrooklynBass wrote:
ArnoldGottlieb wrote:Big mouth brass has a great reputation. I was a B&S player for years and my opinion of them is very high. I feel like they're tuba's designed to be played by professionals. Their valves are great, and the right hand stretch is why I stopped playing them. The Jim Laabs looks really interesting too. I think they all may be winners. The price you quoted on that Kanstul is a lot more than I remember thinking they were.
Right hand stretch? Referring to BMB or B&S?

Jack K said the flying tubas are in short supply due to the Navy Band eating them up. The case is specifically engineered which jacks up the price (no pun intended).
I'm referring to the right hand stretch on a B&S, but it might be the same on all of them. I'd probably just get a rotary B&S if I wanted one. But people play them and they're unbelievable. I've had some injuries due to sports, bass playing, and motorcycle crashing that made the stretch a little more than I wanted to do on some days. Mostly they're great, but as I get older I like plug and play more and more.
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

So, it looks like I'm about to take the plunge on the BNB custom 3/4 with the 18" bell. On paper/screen it just seems to be the winner in terms of being a small tuba with the heart of a 4/4, especially when you factor in the bell and bore size. It even comes with a gig bag. Can't beat that for my portability needs.

I wish I could play it, but it's 1 of 2 3/4s Rich has left. One (mine) is shipping from his OH warehouse. The other is a demo model on its way to the conference... sadly, I can't go. So, I'm counting on the virtually unanimous feedback that these are great instruments. I've heard the 3/4 called a "helluva horn" by a user, and referred to as "7/8" size by another and various anecdotes about good intonation, hardware, etc.

The runners up at exactly the same price point as the BMB (all from Matt @ Dillon) are the used PT4P and the Eastman. I see these as horns I can trade "up" to once I get my chops back... remember, I'm coming back after 10 years.

It's not too late to change gears if anyone thinks I'm making an objectively poor decision. To my point above, I have to relearn to play after a decade off, so even if I play-tested a dozen horns, they would all sound batty and out of tune! That's why I'm relying on all the crowd-sourced help I can get!

Thanks so much to all who have guided me so far!
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

You asked for advice, listened carefully to the advice given, and followed that advice??

:shock:

There is a first time for everything!!

:tuba:

Best wishes.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

BrooklynBass wrote:The runners up at exactly the same price point as the BMB (all from Matt @ Dillon) are the used PT4P and the Eastman. I see these as horns I can trade "up" to once I get my chops back... remember, I'm coming back after 10 years.
My one thought -- coming back after time off doesn't always take as long as you think it will. Especially if you were pretty into it before, you'll bounce back. If you are at all thinking of the BMB as a short-term solution before you trade for something else, then just consider what it means to buy brand new vs. used, and what you might expect to get out of the BMB in a year or two when you go to sell it. Just saying, if you really want the PT4P or Eastman instead and see yourself there in a year or two... does it make sense to go through this extra step?

A bunch of years ago, when I came back from about 2 or 3 years off, I bought a VMI/MW-30, which is a 4/4 CC tuba with 4 valves. Nice horn for what it was, but soon after, I felt a need to upgrade to something that fit my playing and my needs a little better. I'm not totally sure that I would have bought a more expensive tuba right away, but it's something I think I should have considered a bit more than I did at the time.

Well, that's more than 1 thought. Don't let me change your mind though!
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

I agree with Bort. I would go for the Eastman if you feel like the BMB is going to be a stepping-stone into a bigger horn. The Eastman is a compact 4/4 and I trust Matt Walters' design sensibilities. The BMB's dependent fifth valve (rubber band linkage still?) is bothersome to me, but if that's a compromise you're willing to accept then go for it. In my experience, PT-4Ps offer a high third partial G... but there are always intonation compromises to be made. Eastman's my choice. YMMV. Good luck!
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

Interesting direction this thread has taken. I love the Eastman that Matt designed. I was lucky enough to be there when a famous tuba player tried the prototype which I got to try also, and I've played a few production models and they've been fantastic, and my tuner agrees. In the realm of 3/4 tubas, it's not one, but in the world of small or compact horns, I think it fits there pretty well.
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

PRe: Kanstul vs Yamaha vs BMB: Need help choosing a portable

Post by Ltrain »

I'm officially torn. Now it's a matter of 3/4 vs 4/4. Gotta sleep on this one.

With the BMB and Eastman being the exact same price, I have some thinking to do. I still like the "small-ness" of the BMB which is why I'm torn.

Is there anyone at TEC that can snap a pic of the 835 (16" bell) and report back. I need more feedback about this elusive little beast.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

Split the difference- go 'compact' 4/4 like a MW 3450. So much better than a 621 IME.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:3/4 tubas really aren't of much use...
After all, which 1/4 are you going to sacrifice...
- mouthpipe and valves...??
- bell and bottom bow...??
Mostly the bell.

I like Big Bottoms!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Three Valves wrote:
bloke wrote:3/4 tubas really aren't of much use...
After all, which 1/4 are you going to sacrifice...
- mouthpipe and valves...??
- bell and bottom bow...??
Mostly the bell.

I like Big Bottoms!!
Big Bottom Brass went out of business a few years ago... :|
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Guys, I'm the proud owner of a new Eastman EBC632S. Her name is Stella. I got here thanks to some gentle nudges from some great people I've met along the way. Matt Walters is the MAN! Extra thanks to the spirited guidance of Michael Parker (who set me up with a perfectly matched MP) and Richard Serpa. These guys made me remember why I enjoyed being part of the tuba community to begin with.

Now I have 10 years of rust to polish off!
Last edited by Ltrain on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Excellent! I think you made the right choice.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Congratulations! Who is Matt Harris?
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Matt Walters! (Corrected above!) The other Mathew I accidentally swapped in is another great human in my network (no a tubist, but nonetheless).
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------