Arban's for Tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
David
bugler
bugler

Hmm

Post by David »

Like closest I've seen is Euph bass clef edition. I don't imagine it would to hard to play it down the octave...
What one man can do another can do
Charlie Goodman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Charlie Goodman »

There is the one mentioned, though if you're playing BBb, the trombone/euph one down an octave is more aimed towards the Bb fingerings, whereas the Tuba version is all shifted to favor CC.
David
bugler
bugler

Heck

Post by David »

I just read the trumpet one and read down a few octaves. Never done me wrong. Always good for improving clef readin, and working at site transposition into a more playable key.

Flexibility!
What one man can do another can do
Jobey Wilson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jobey Wilson »

Young's version is fantastic! There is also a new verion called "My First Arban," which is geared toward younger students, but it has a good majority of the "meat & potatos" of the original Arban. I discovered this book about one month ago, have used it as my daily routine (with a few personal edits) the last few weeks, and I love it!!! I picked one up for all my students (who also have Young's version), and have noticed incredible differences; really builds their confidence! After the 4th long tone exercise on the first page, the student has seen & played every note of the scale (within the first octave), which has GREATLY improved all of their sight reading; lessening the typical "B natural freak-out" most students get from only playing in Bb, Eb & F throughout their first couple of years in middle school band. It's only about 20 pages, weighs a small fraction of the original, & costs about $7...check it out! Teachers, get your younger students on this immediately!!!
Joseph "Jobey" Wilson, DMA
Pittsburg State University
www.pittstate.edu/music/
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Many of you have heard my opinion on the Arban....

Post by Roger Lewis »

but my recommendation is that everyone should work from the Arban book. BUT here's my pet peeve. Go to the 1st scale study. In C/Bb major. I don't believe in limits and refuse to accept limitations that are offered to me by others. Why is it that the exercise stops at the a/g and comes back down? Here is a dead guy giving you a limitation. Personally I don't like dead people telling me what to do (I am referring to Mr Arban). These exercises should be taken as an outline and not a blue print. He is laying out a format and it is up to the player to utilize that format to its fullest potential. You play that 1st scale exercise upwards until you are calling every dog in the neighborhood, and then go back down until you set off every seismograph in a 3 state area and then you finish it out as it was written. PLAY BEYOND THE INK.

Someone once told me that they had actually seen a copy of the original Arban book and it went all the way to double high C. Here we have editing (in the trumpet book that I play out of) that ASSUMES that this 1st exercise would be too hard if it was played any further than the a/g.

Utilize your mind and creativity to keep going beyond what is written - you will find this to be a great way to make strong improvements and to get to know where you are on the horn at any given moment.

Okay I'm finished now - flame away.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Henry wrote:... but Tubenetters keep claiming that the thing is shifted to favor CC. Not true; it's exactly as written for Bb cornet but transcribed into the Bass clef for ease of reading by the clef challenged. .
I think that Jerry Young puts it best in his preface:
This volume was prepared with the CC tuba in mind. It may be used, of course, by tubists who use instruments in any key, but Arban’s original fingering patterns will be present for the CC tubist only. Perhaps future editions of this text will be possible that preserve the exact Arban patterns for tubas in other keys.
The trumpet version is the cat's meow if you know trumpet fingerings because you can use it with any valved instrument without changing fingerings. Yes, you can retain the fingering patterns on BBb using the tuba Arban's if you finger the BBb (or Eb or F) with CC fingerings.

But I still have a problem with the tuba Arban's--the typesetting of the music has been done with a computerized notation program and breathing marks and tempo changes have been omitted.

Compare No. 52 "The Exile's Lament' shown on the sample:

http://www.encoremupub.com/images/9125.pdf

with the version on page 205 of the trumpet Arban's. To my eye, the hand-typeset version is much more natural-looking. Page changes appear to be better executed in the trumpet version also.

I suppose that if all one can read is bass clef CC fingerings, the tuba version might be worth the money.
Last edited by Chuck(G) on Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ames0325
bugler
bugler

Post by Ames0325 »

I too am planning to buy an Arban's book pretty soon. Searching the archives I see a few reasons why it might be a good idea to just get the trumpet version. It also seems to be the most complete version and the least expensive. It may be a little more work being in treble clef but that doesn't bother me. Is there any reason I SHOULDN"T get the trumpet book?

Amy
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Ames0325 wrote: Is there any reason I SHOULDN"T get the trumpet book?
Probably the only reason would be that it won't help you get used to seeing those things down in the bass clef, and especially several ledger lines below.

Either one, though, is going to help you deal with the instrument.
winston
pro musician
pro musician

Post by winston »

Last edited by winston on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston Hind
The Naden Band of the Royal Canadian Navy
punk_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by punk_tuba »

i use the arbin for trombone
i think its a great book for tuba players because a lot of tuba method shys away from the mid to high register and with arbin trombone you get a nice even distrobution of range.