Army Tuba Conference 2017 favorite horn(s)?

The bulk of the musical talk
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Army Tuba Conference 2017 favorite horn(s)?

Post by bisontuba »

Your favorites?
Kory101
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Army Tuba Conference 2017 favorite horn(s)?

Post by Kory101 »

Call me old fashioned but there was a MW 6450 that BBC had that was pretty incredible.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

Andreas Eastman had two prototype Eb compensating tubas that were great. I cant wait for them to come out on the market later this year. these had forward facing valves ala the Besson 983, but the horn was lighter and a little more agile.

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

Miraphone Hagen 496. Absolutely amazing tuba!
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

The 17000$ Yorkbrunner at BBC, the B&S Fanny F, the Rudy F and HB21 at Lee Stofer, the Mr. P. F from BBC, the souped up PT6S + the Yamaha 621F at Dillon, and the Wessex Travel Tuba.
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

Baltimore Brass had a silver Miraphone 186 that I really liked on consignment. I played 2 Eastman BBb's I liked too, one was 3/4 size with 4 piston valves, and the other was more of a Miraphone 186 copy. All nice horns. I also liked the Wessex Travel Tuba!! Incredible for its size!!
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Rebel wrote: I played 2 Eastman BBb's I liked too, one was 3/4 size with 4 piston valves, and the other was more of a Miraphone 186 copy. All nice horns. I also liked the Wessex Travel Tuba!! Incredible for its size!!
Agreed.

The big bore Eastman EBB623 was killer, and if size didn't matter, I'd love it.

I could not make up my mind between a Jupiter 482 and the Eastman EBB226 3/4.

The Jupiter has a larger bore and more heft.

My favorite horn with no price consideration??

A MW2011 Hojo at Baltimore Brass.

:tuba:

Every year I play the Wessex Travel Tuba and convince myself I don't need it.

One year I will lose the argument!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

Tuono, Elektra; Rick's old Symphonie; Lee's Prototype CC; Eastman CC; and the Wyvern deserves a nod for surprising me. I didn't play on any BATS, because I'm not looking for one at this point in my life, but there were a few very nice ones there
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

"Tuono" might not qualify as a BAT, but isn't it THE largest rotary CC on the market now? . . . it's got to be up there.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

That's OK.

Next week we can do "Army Tuba Conference 2017 favorite horns you would have played if you were there!!"
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

barry grrr-ero wrote:"Tuono" might not qualify as a BAT, but isn't it THE largest rotary CC on the market now? . . . it's got to be up there.
It is big . . . but I love it because it's everything I love about the Thor, but so much more comfortable to hold and play. Definitely something I'd buy if I ever get a gig, or start being a good contender.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

barry grrr-ero wrote:"Tuono" might not qualify as a BAT, but isn't it THE largest rotary CC on the market now? . . . it's got to be up there.
There aren't too many large rotary CC tubas commonly available, but there are some other off-the-shelf and made-to-order options for new tubas:
PT-6
MRP-CC
Miraphone 190
Alexander 164
Cerveny kaiser
Rudy Meinl 5/4 (which is HUGE!)
Willson 3050RZ :tuba:

I hope it's only a matter of time before Miraphone starts making CC "versions" of their new BBb lineup!
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

My favorite horns were BBb Marzan and the XO euphonium at Baltimore Brass and the Eastman compensating euphonium. The Wessex Dolce almost had me, but the low range on the XO and Eastman were so easy to play I just couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe with a different mouthpiece I could have made it better, but that's a road I'm not sure I want to go down.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

Dillon had a custom Conn MOnster with Meinl Weston/MAW valves done by Martin Wilk.

it was easy to play but very heavy. and not a bad price.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-25316-conn ... m-bbb.aspx" target="_blank

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
fsgazda
bugler
bugler

Post by fsgazda »

Just played some Eb's, and my favorite was the Eastman, hands down. Didn't get a chance to try the Kanstul, and was disappointed that Wessex had sold out of the Gnagey before the show.

I didn't play any Euphs this year, but am pretty sure my favorite was the Adams, as usual.
Dr. Frank Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University

Shires 7YLW F/Gb/D Thayer valve bass trombone, Doug Elliott 112.L.L8
Shires 7YM tenor trombone, DE XT105.G.G8
SE Shires Q41 euphonium, DE XT105.I.I8
Nirschl MWN4 EEb tuba, Canadian Brass AJ
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

The BMB Eb was nice too. It was a bit larger than the Eastman Eb, and non-compensating.
They actually had two Eastman E flats there, one with a Yamaha 621 style 15" bell and one with a more traditional flared 16" bell. The rep said they were planning on bringing out two models; one with the 15" bell and second one with a 17" bell. Should be out this summer. I am anxious to try them when they come out since I am looking to switch from my 3+1 style horn to a valves in front style.

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

I actually also bought a used ST. Petersburg BBb from Baltimore Brass. great player for a great price. finally got my BBb piggy....
kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

Three Valves wrote:That's OK.

Next week we can do "Army Tuba Conference 2017 favorite horns you would have played if you were there!!"
LOL!!! :mrgreen:
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:
Three Valves wrote:That's OK.

Thank-you.
It should prove therapeutic for my lugubrium.
...and do wonders for torpor and dyspepsia!!
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

ken k wrote:Dillon had a custom Conn MOnster with Meinl Weston/MAW valves done by Martin Wilk.

it was easy to play but very heavy. and not a bad price.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-25316-conn ... m-bbb.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank

kk
That was a beautiful instrument. But I found the inexpensive Cerveny 601 that was a few feet away from it to be more open-sounding and responsive. That may say more about me than the instruments.

I like the Marzan at the BB booth, though it was a bit tight (which is a feature for some and a detriment for others). I played my old Symphonie F (which I sold after having bought the 6-valve version) and the only flaw on that instrument is the too-short fifth valve. That would be easy to fix--maybe even as easy as buying the current fifth-valve slide, which they correct by making with much longer ferrules. I tried that experiment and it worked, but such a replacement slide would need some hand-fitting.

I played both of the CB-50 revival instruments that Lee made. One (in lacquer, and I think already owned) had the Getzen valves, except for the fifth, which was a downstream Willson Rotax. The new silver example had MAW valves and the regular Getzen upstream fifth valve and narrow loop, similar to what we routinely see in Rusk conversions. I thought the lacquer version was more flexible, but I'm thinking the Willson valve downstream might be more likely to explain that than the valves. Both were fun to play, like all tubas of that design. Lee has made some key improvements, mostly to solidify bracing and improve fit and finish.

The Miraphone Hagen was simply superb. And the Elektra is an excellent current F tuba that I would consider with lottery winnings, but I'm still happy with my true graduated-bore B&S.

I played the Bb BAT's from BMB and Wessex, and I still think BMB has a strong edge there, though it has all the ergonomic annoyances of the Yorks and Holtons from which its design is generally derived.

And, since I mentioned Holton, BB had a very interesting and very old Holton that must substantially pre-date the 345. Front-action and with a 22" bell, and very fun to play. I don't know about intonation--too hard to tell in the Elephant Room during that first hour when I tried it. The first hour of the exhibits this year was the loudest I've ever heard in the Elephant Room. Even I had to retreat to the bowling alley for some (relative) quiet.

Here's the Ride Coefficient: Heard 14 times by me. Meistersinger was also quite popular this year. I asked one booth operator if the Wagner playing was more this year, and his response was "I only notice it when it is either really good or really bad." Maybe that's why I was keeping count.

Rick "Image" Denney