Army Tuba Conference 2017 favorite horn(s)?

The bulk of the musical talk
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: Army Tuba Conference 2017 favorite horn(s)?

Post by Michael Bush »

Rick Denney wrote: Here's the Ride Coefficient: Heard 14 times by me.
An exhibitor told me last year some of them try to predict (he actually said, "make bets on") how many seconds or minutes will pass after the room opens before someone plays the Ride.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Tubaryan12 wrote:My favorite horns were BBb Marzan and the XO euphonium at Baltimore Brass and the Eastman compensating euphonium. The Wessex Dolce almost had me, but the low range on the XO and Eastman were so easy to play I just couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe with a different mouthpiece I could have made it better, but that's a road I'm not sure I want to go down.
+1 on that BBb Marzan. That horn plays top to bottom very well. I also liked Mike Lynch's Mirafone next to it.
I have never done much F tuba playing [like none!], but one of the Dillon horns played well, especially low, once I got the hang of it.
The Eb from BMB played exceptionally well.
Bearin' up!
MoCoTubaBone
lurker
lurker

Post by MoCoTubaBone »

Loved both the Luzern and Danube at Wessex. I missed the Eastman Ebs are the compensating or no? Dillon had a Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb which was blast to play. Awesome low range. What a beast! http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-24960-cerv ... r-bbb.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Did BBC still have the huge (black tarnished) Conn rotary BBb?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort wrote:Did BBC still have the huge (black tarnished) Conn rotary BBb?
No, but this Holton was something!!

http://www.baltimorebrass.net/picture.p ... ts&id=2681" target="_blank
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Three Valves wrote:
bort wrote:Did BBC still have the huge (black tarnished) Conn rotary BBb?
No, but this Holton was something!!

http://www.baltimorebrass.net/picture.p ... ts&id=2681" target="_blank" target="_blank
That's the instrument I was describing. Very fun to play.

Rick "who has played this one before, too" Denney
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

scottw wrote:
Tubaryan12 wrote:My favorite horns were BBb Marzan and the XO euphonium at Baltimore Brass and the Eastman compensating euphonium. The Wessex Dolce almost had me, but the low range on the XO and Eastman were so easy to play I just couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe with a different mouthpiece I could have made it better, but that's a road I'm not sure I want to go down.
+1 on that BBb Marzan. That horn plays top to bottom very well. ....
Not to mention the nicest rotor valve paddle throw I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The tech drilled holes further up the arms for the string and I can't wait to have it done on mine.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Tubaryan12 wrote:
scottw wrote:
+1 on that BBb Marzan. That horn plays top to bottom very well. ....
Not to mention the nicest rotor valve paddle throw I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The tech drilled holes further up the arms for the string and I can't wait to have it done on mine.
I may have been one of the first to play that Marzan after the exhibits opened, and after my five minutes, the string on the first valve broke. They fixed that pretty darn quickly, given the traffic in the booth. String action is wonderfully smooth, but one sometimes has to be pretty good at replacing those strings!

Rick "big hands" Denney
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I saw that Marzan at BBC back in early January. I didn't get a chance to play it. :oops:
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

Rick Denney wrote:
I played the Bb BAT's from BMB and Wessex, and I still think BMB has a strong edge there, though it has all the ergonomic annoyances of the Yorks and Holtons from which its design is generally derived.
I was wondering about that horn. I was curious to know how the independent 5th valve affected the overall sound and feel of the horn. So what were the things you didn't like about the Wessex?
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

LCTuba89 wrote:
Rick Denney wrote:
I played the Bb BAT's from BMB and Wessex, and I still think BMB has a strong edge there, though it has all the ergonomic annoyances of the Yorks and Holtons from which its design is generally derived.
I was wondering about that horn. I was curious to know how the independent 5th valve affected the overall sound and feel of the horn. So what were the things you didn't like about the Wessex?
I liked the Wessex, but the BMB felt more at home to me as an owner of a excellent Holton, based on my five minutes with each. If I was in the market for a new 6/4 Bb tuba, I'd want to spend much more quality time with both of these.

The dependent 5th valve is interesting--it may be that the added resistance in the fourth valve loop actually improves the low-register response using the fourth valve. This is not exactly the original Holton's strongest point--the .810 bore of the Holton's 4th makes that low F demand a little more finesse (and air).

But I'm not used to using a 5th valve on a Bb tuba, so I had nothing to compare it to. The thumb trigger has always been one of the challenges of the BMB design, somewhat exacerbated by the York/Holton ergonomics. I need a thumb ring to keep my arm wrapped all the way around that instrument, and thumb rings and fifth-valve buttons are always uneasy partners. The button on the BMB is quite adjustable, though. I have no problem with the "elastomeric return spring".

Rick "too small a sample to provide more than a general impression" Denney
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Just got home and slept all day. Long drive from Minneapolis to Ft. Myer. I went with definite plans to check out the Wessex "Berg" F tuba that had receivied some good reviews from last year. It is basically all that I was looking for in a "light" F tuba. I still have and frequently use a BMB F with the large bell. But just wanted one that was lighter and sang quite easily. This one handles a bit more nimbly than the PT15 and has a dynamite low register. The intonation on the Berg was very easy to deal with and for me, it did sing quite nicely. I did wind up taking it home, which says that I quite enjoyed it. Unfortunately it did have some previous damage, most likely from shipping from China, which should be rectified by my favorite repair tech here in Minneapolis. I should mention with regard to my liking for Wessex is that I purchased a "Wyvern" last year, and am having MAW valves produced for it. The Wyvern for me is a magnificent instrument. I use it in the St.Paul Civic (an 85 piece orchestra) and have no problem with presence, warmth and power. I have used it on many pro gigs and it does turn heads with it very full and warm sound.

Other tubas that I took a fancy to were a tall used Cerveny at the Dillon booth that I thought was about a good of a Cerveny as they likely ever made. Huge warm sound and still in pretty good mechanical shape. It probably would have been the deal of the show at only $2500.

BB had an F double rotary tuba, Yes - by Yamaha. I was rather taken by it and were it the humane society, any dog that gave me such positive vibes, well - I would have taken it home. I still might try to track it down.

The B&S MRP with the Faffner Bell and Bow I thought a great instrument. Very easy blowing and a great sound. Confortable ergonomics as well. Were I in a large professional orchestra, that would probably be my main horn.

The Eastman CC always intrigues me with how nice it feels and plays. I wonder if I could crank out enough sound to my liking in a large orchestra. Very fine workmanship on the demo.

I tried out some BATs, 2 Hirsbrunners at BB proved that they are not "peas in a pod" One had a great sound, the other somewhat lacking in "gravitas."

I'm interested in the Wessex BBb Grand(BAT). Granted,it is only in the prototype stages and as I understand the valve section will be both lowered and brough closer to the player which should drastically improved the comfort level. As far as the bugle goes, I though it a great horn. If I would ever order another BAT it would be in raw brass as I would probably move a lot of things around. I am thinking Wessex probably has plans for a CC6/4 down the line. All in good time. If I am not too old and rickety when it comes out I may pop for one.

It was with a heavy heart that I relinguished my BMB 6/4 CC BAT to BB for consignment. It is priced to sell and will be "such a deal." It was a great horn but I could barely carry it to the gig. If the Wessex has better ergonomics similar to the CSO York/Nirschl etc, it could make things manageable.

I must say, that even with all the great horns at the show, the most fun came with connecting with old Tubeneters the likes of Rick Denny, Bill Troiano, Lee Stofer, Matt Walters, Art Hovey and of course Jonathan "Wyvern" Hodgetts. Great stimulating conversation and a lot of fun commaraderie.

Also thanks to Dave, Dave and Adam for running a smooth show, and for also driving me onto the baseeach morning, as the guard house security would not accept my Minnesota ID.

Great people - great event.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

PaulMaybery wrote: It was with a heavy heart that I relinguished my BMB 6/4 CC BAT to BB for consignment. It is priced to sell and will be "such a deal." It was a great horn but I could barely carry it to the gig. If the Wessex has better ergonomics similar to the CSO York/Nirschl etc, it could make things manageable.
Did it sell before ever going on the website or it hasn't made it there yet? I'm not seeing it.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

PaulMaybery wrote:...and for also driving me onto the base each morning, as the guard house security would not accept my Minnesota ID.
Were you hiding in the trunk?? :shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

The BMB has not made it to the website at least as of last evening. I only dropped it off on Friday in the chaos of the conference. Asking price is $5999. It has a Dillon AGR, and 4 Saturn water keys. Just last week I had all of the dents, both small and smaller, all rolled/balled out and about 20 of the braces resoldered most which were never properly soldered. So the tuba will be a very solid player. (It is "Cherry.") At the show I really did not play any 6/4 that played any better including one $17K Hirsbrunner at BB.

As far as me getting into the base, Minnesota has a non compliant drivers license that needed a passport or other government issued photo ID (which I did not have) to support. Apparently if you enterthe base in the vehicle of someone with a DOD identification you are waved right through. So on each day, one of the members of the committee met me outside the gate and took me in. Great guys!!!
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

FWIW, I've played Paul's 6/4 BAT and thought it was very easy to play and (duh) had a HUGE sound. Favorite part were the pistons -- SUPER smoooooooooooth.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

fsgazda wrote:was disappointed that Wessex had sold out of the Gnagey before the show.
I am sorry it was not available, but we have been having production problems with the largest tuba factory in the world not being able to keep up with Wessex demand (over 200 outstanding tubas to produce at present time)! However I am assured the problems are now fixed and we should from June start having full inventory again.
PaulMaybery wrote:The intonation on the Berg was very easy to deal with and for me, it did sing quite nicely. I did wind up taking it home, which says that I quite enjoyed it. Unfortunately it did have some previous damage, most likely from shipping from China
The shipping damage was actually between NAMM and US Army Workshop. Items coming from China are in shipping containers and rarely arrived damaged.
PaulMaybery wrote:I'm interested in the Wessex BBb Grand(BAT). Granted,it is only in the prototype stages and as I understand the valve section will be both lowered and brough closer to the player which should drastically improved the comfort level.

I confirm that the Grand exhibited was only prototype and movement of the valve section will happen before production, although playing wise, multiple professional feedback is we need change nothing. In fact one leading symphonic tubist is planning to use with his orchestra in March in preference to his regular Nirschl. Details later.

Another prototype horn we exhibited that needs further adjustment is the compensated baritone - feedback received much appreciated.

The Festivo front action compensated euphonium is now ready for production with much improved response to prototype at ITEC last year. Now it plays very similar to the renowned 3+1 Dolce, so makes great alternative for those that prefer front action valves.

Another prototype ready for production without any changes is the new Maly tornister euphonium. That has got positive feedback where ever it has gone.

It was great to meet Paul Maybery and several other customers for the first time at US Army workshop. That is one event I never have hesitation to fly across the Atlantic to attend.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote:If Jb is having to expand to keep up with the myriad stencil retailers' orders, that's going to mean quite a few greenhorn workers, it seems to me.
It is not a case of increasing workforce, but changing working practices. For Wessex Tubas the factory are ending 'just in time' production which too often meant, just out of time.

Of course this will not effect other companies who don't take the trouble of checking the horns before accepting anyway. But I will not allow any Wessex instruments to be shipped without careful quality assuring and play testing first - so production delay means Wessex have gone home and the tubas miss the shipment.

Its a hard decision to make, but I won't let any sub-standard horns go out with Wessex engraved on the bell, even if that means we loose sales through delays in shipping.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote: ...so what percentage are you packing up and sending back? :|
We are not sending any back, as most are sorted while we are at factory and those that have something more major that can't be fixed relatively quickly are rejected...and stay at factory
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Post by mwlorrison893 »

ken k wrote:Dillon had a custom Conn MOnster with Meinl Weston/MAW valves done by Martin Wilk.

it was easy to play but very heavy. and not a bad price.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-25316-conn ... m-bbb.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank

kk

I just purchased this horn today. I play a Conn 25J and love it so when i picked up this horn I fell in love with the sound and even found it to be very comfortable to play. Each person is different but It felt good in my hands and the sound was incredible. The combination of old and new here has been well worth it!!!!