Valve rotated 180 degrees

The bulk of the musical talk
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Valve rotated 180 degrees

Post by Donn »

MaryAnn wrote:Used to be able to, now no idea. Perhaps there is somewhere already on here with directions?
It is simpler than it used to be. When you're typing out a post, direct your eyes below the text entry area, below the <Submit> etc. buttons, to a tab thing, <Options>/<Upload attachment>. Select that second tab, and follow directions, and it should turn out OK from there. Later in the sequence you should get a <Place inline> option on your file, use that if you want to work the image into your text narrative.

That's common storage, so of course it's even more important than always to reduce the size of your image first. Images from a typical digital camera are far larger than they need to be in a post, which could usually be something like the classic 640x480 and still serve the purpose perfectly well. I use Preview to do that (Mac OS X.)
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Test picture of cat. Will follow with picture of valve if I can get the phone to take one. Long process...take pic, go somewhere with free wifi, email to myself, download, put here. Meanwhile, enjoy the cat picture.
Puddy Tat bed feet in air cropped.jpg
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

No ... not cat pictures ...
Peppermint was in her late teens when she stopped by for a visit a couple years ago. She's now 20, still gets around and jumps up on furniture. In her earlier years in the Sierras, she was a notable squirrel hunter.
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

Hi MaryAnn.
I'd like to clear a few things up for everyone. Unless you've had the valves vented by a repair shop, the Norwegian Star does not come from the factory with vented rotors. What you are hearing is the air being sucked in around the valve bearings. If they were vented you would see a small hole drilled between the two pipes for the slides in the valve casing.

I think that the clicking noise you were hearing comes from a lack of oil on the upper and lower valve bearings. Your horn should have come with a small needle oiler that allows you to easily put a drop of oil on the upper and lower bearings. Access to the upper bearing is between the cork holder and the bottom of the stop arm. Put a drop of oil there and then, without pushing the valve down, pull the slide for that valve and the suction created will draw the oil down into the bearing itself. Do the same with the lower bearing under the screw cap on the bottom of the valve and the clicking should go away. My Piggy has a lot of miles on it but this will usually quiet them right down.

By the way having the markings 180 degrees is not a huge deal. Just use a small metal ruler to verify that the corks are not worn. One thing to note. The rotors come from the factory with neoprene on the down stroke of the valve but cork on the upstroke which will wear rather quickly and require replacement often unless you replace the cork with neoprene. Doing so will tend to increase the amount of "bounce" you may experience on the upstroke.

Give me a shout if you need more information.
All the best to you my friend.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Roger’s signature has a tremendous effect. Every time.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I didn't buy it new. I suppose I could find the serial number? And figure out when it was made. All five valves are vented (there are five tiny holes drilled through the casings, one for each valve. All the bumpers are neoprene. #4 lines up fine at 180 degrees, but next time I have it cleaned (I DID have it ultrasounded, because something inside was making me feel not so good, and the cleaning fixed that. Maybe *that* guy put the valve in at 180? I just now thought of that.) It was the guy who put on the Joykey who said it must have been vented at the factory. That's probably because he thought I bought it new. I don't know who vented them; I am at least the third owner. Thank you, again, everyone, for all the information.