Advice on mouthpieces for Kanstul 90-S

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubaman4
lurker
lurker

Advice on mouthpieces for Kanstul 90-S

Post by Tubaman4 »

Hello all, I recently purchased a Kanstul 90s. My current mouthpiece does not fit in the horn so well. So I am seeking advice as to what mouthpieces work best with this horn? Does any Baer model work with this horn? Any advice would be great. Thank you.
Tubaman4
lurker
lurker

Re: Advice on mouthpieces for Kanstul 90-S

Post by Tubaman4 »

Any recommendations?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Be more patient?

What is your current mouthpiece? That should be a standard (American) receiver, so any mouthpiece with the correct shank size should fit.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

A lot more information is needed for us to even guess what would work for you. Starting with what isn't working for you and why. Then what type of music and groups do you play with. If you want immediate advice that is a very good, call Joe and mid- south music (aka Bloke) and talk to him. He will ask you these questions and likely a lot more.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

I'm just getting back into the game, so I don't have much to compare to... BUT I just got a 3-peice Parker mouthpiece that pairs amazingly with my new Eastman CC—which I am told is similar to the 90 is the sense that they're both modern takes on the York they draw inspiration from. I also love the modular aspect. For example, I went with a Helleburg-style backbone and I like knowing if I want more resistance, I can swap in a shank with a smaller backbore. Fortunately, thanks to Michael Parker's help, I really do think I found the best feeling and playing MP for my needs. I definitely recommend checking out Parker/Houser mouthpieces.

In case you care to know, here's what I went with:

32.3 Laskey Helleberg style rim (black titanium!)
Chris Hall contrabass Medium cup
Helleberg .330 Standard/ American taper shank (also titanium)
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Tubaman4 wrote:My current mouthpiece does not fit in the horn so well.
Along the same lines as bort's inquiry, how does it not fit? Fits tight, but goes in too far / not far enough? If it doesn't fit tight, does the end of the shank move, inside the receiver? or does the end of the shank seat, but the shank is not tight at the exit end of the receiver? What tubas does it fit?
Mjkrellwitz
lurker
lurker

Post by Mjkrellwitz »

I own a 33s and a helleberg 7b works great. I originally used a marcinkiewicz N4, and it did not work well with the horn.
Tubaman4
lurker
lurker

Post by Tubaman4 »

BrooklynBass wrote:I'm just getting back into the game, so I don't have much to compare to... BUT I just got a 3-peice Parker mouthpiece that pairs amazingly with my new Eastman CC—which I am told is similar to the 90 is the sense that they're both modern takes on the York they draw inspiration from. I also love the modular aspect. For example, I went with a Helleburg-style backbone and I like knowing if I want more resistance, I can swap in a shank with a smaller backbore. Fortunately, thanks to Michael Parker's help, I really do think I found the best feeling and playing MP for my needs. I definitely recommend checking out Parker/Houser mouthpieces.

In case you care to know, here's what I went with:

32.3 Laskey Helleberg style rim (black titanium!)
Chris Hall contrabass Medium cup
Helleberg .330 Standard/ American taper shank (also titanium)

Wow thank you so much you definitely pushed me into the right direction! I'm really interested in trying the 32.3 laskey mouthpiece.
Tubaman4
lurker
lurker

Post by Tubaman4 »

A little more information from my side. I was using the Helleberg 7b but it seems to lean to one side of lead pipe and I feel I'm getting a really throaty sound with it. Especially if I am doing fast passages. It seems like I can shift the mouthpiece like a millimeter when it's in the lead pipe. Thank you all for your input.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I interpret that to describe a taper mismatch. The mouthpiece shank isn't the same taper, as the receiver. You may need to get the receiver fixed. Internet diagnosis doesn't seem to be working very well here, but a repair shop can tell right away what's wrong, and maybe fix things up. Though Kanstul would probably want you to get in touch with them. From your description, a new mouthpiece won't fit any better.

As far as what's good, once you have reason to think the shank will fit ... do what you want, but advice you will get here is nearly useless. Go online, pick any mouthpiece you want, and someone is guaranteed to like that mouthpiece a lot, with good reason. That 7B is a pretty good one, by the way.
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

I think Donn has this exactly right. If your mouthpiece isn't fitting right, something may be wrong with the receiver or the mouthpiece and how the two are fitting together. You can't know for sure which is wrong without taking both to a brass repair tech.

One note - Along with finding someone online who loves whatever mouthpiece you're asking about, you can also find someone who doesn't like it either and possibly for just as many good reasons.
I don't like the Conn 7B. I actually gave away my 7B a few years ago - after my Dad gave it to me. It didn't work for him either.
Donn wrote:I interpret that to describe a taper mismatch. The mouthpiece shank isn't the same taper, as the receiver. You may need to get the receiver fixed. Internet diagnosis doesn't seem to be working very well here, but a repair shop can tell right away what's wrong, and maybe fix things up. Though Kanstul would probably want you to get in touch with them. From your description, a new mouthpiece won't fit any better.

As far as what's good, once you have reason to think the shank will fit ... do what you want, but advice you will get here is nearly useless. Go online, pick any mouthpiece you want, and someone is guaranteed to like that mouthpiece a lot, with good reason. That 7B is a pretty good one, by the way.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I thought the top-of-the-line Kanstul tubas came with several screw-in mpc receivers.
My 80 f tuba came with four.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

How bad would mouthpiece shank fit be, if the screw-in mpc receiver weren't there?