Adams Custom B flat Tuba compared to Hirsbrunner HBS492

The bulk of the musical talk
Gerben P.
lurker
lurker

Adams Custom B flat Tuba compared to Hirsbrunner HBS492

Post by Gerben P. »

Hi,

After playing for 10+ years a Hirsbrunner HBS492 B flat I will have an Adams custom B flat at my disposal for the next month.

I thought I'd share some comparison photos since the Adams more or less is supposed to be the successor/Adams version of the Hirsbrunner. Hirsbrunner on the left, Adams on the right

From a distance they do look alike. Bell is the same size, overall size is exactly the same. But if you look more carefully you will see the layout is different especially for inner branches and valves. Also the valve block is ever so slightly positioned further away from the bell and somewhat more forward in the bugle. And obviously fifth valve tubing is different.

The fifth valve/cylinder inserts from the front rather than from the back, I assume to make assembly easier (Hirsbrunner is quite a cumbersome tight fit when assembling/disassembling the fifth valve.)

As to a comparison how they play: I'll let you know in a month's time when I have to give it back.

Gerben

Gerben Poorter
Miraphone Hagen 496 gold brass
Rudolf Meinl RM1 Es43 5Sb E-flat
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Adams Custom B flat Tuba compared to Hirsbrunner HBS492

Post by bort »

Awesome -- rare information that few people have any direct experience with.

Don't suppose you could post a photo of your Rudy Eb as well?
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Aside: who makes/made Hirsbrunner and Adams valves? Were MW/B&S ever involved? The tuba on the left looks like it has valves reminiscent of MW/B&S "big valves" and Adams owns Bauerfeind (to my knowledge) so I guess they make valves for new Adams tubas. But I feel like older Hirsbrunner piston instruments had a different type.
Gerben P.
lurker
lurker

Post by Gerben P. »

So, the month is over, I have to hand the Adams in again. How did the Adams compare to Hirsbrunner?

Unfortunately, for me, not so well.

Where the Hirsbrunner is very free-blowing the Adams is not: with the Hirsbrunner, more air in = more sound out. With the Adams that is true up to a point, after which it simply does not get any louder/bigger. And this is not at ridiculous levels. Forte+ is OK, anything more and the limiting starts.
This especially applies to the low register below B-flat below the staff. No vanilla notes there, just hard work for limited results.

Tuning-wise the Hirsbrunner is a challenge in the middle register (f below the staff up to d in the staff all flat requiring alternate fingerings) but so is the Adams: Exactly the same tuning problems and solutions (alternate fingering). But where the Hirsbrunner rewards with a glorious sound, Adams does less so.

Arpthark already noted the difference in valve size.
Here a photo of the first valves compared, Hirsbrunner left, Adams right.
Clearly the Adams valves are smaller as are the ports. (also the valve casings have very thick walls 2-3 mm thickness)
Maybe this explains the difference in playing characteristic.

On the positive side, the Adams has a very even response throughout the registers.

Oh well, I now know for me there is no need to buy new Adams tuba.
Gerben Poorter
Miraphone Hagen 496 gold brass
Rudolf Meinl RM1 Es43 5Sb E-flat
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

arpthark wrote:Aside: who makes/made Hirsbrunner and Adams valves? Were MW/B&S ever involved? The tuba on the left looks like it has valves reminiscent of MW/B&S "big valves" and Adams owns Bauerfeind (to my knowledge) so I guess they make valves for new Adams tubas. But I feel like older Hirsbrunner piston instruments had a different type.
When I visited Walter Nirschl he mentioned that at some point he used to make valves for Hirschbrunner. Didn't ask when and can't even be sure he was talking about pistons but my guess is he was. Very informative post but pressing submit is easier than erase..