Ophicleide Web broadcast

The bulk of the musical talk
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Ophicleide Web broadcast

Post by cambrook »

Nick Byrne, 2nd trombonist in the Sydney Symphony, was interviewed on ABC Radio National "Music Show" about the ophicleide.
You can listen online at http://www.abc.net.au/rn/music/mshow/default.htm
It is the 30th April show, about 7'40" into the "First Hour". As well as an introduction to the ophicleide and a demonstration of the sound there is the March to the Scaffold from the John Elliot Gardiner recording of Symphonie Fantastique.

You can also check out his site at http://www.ophicleide.com
Cameron Brook
West Australian Symphony Orchestra
www.waso.com.au
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

I was seriously thinking about buying an ophicleide to "fool around with" until I heard Loren Marsteller play his. Loren is one heckuva musician who I'm sure could probably play the shinbone of an *** and make it sound like a million bucks. Yet he missed a few notes here and there. I realized that this was not an instrument one simply "fools around" with and I wasn't willing to dedicate the time toward sounding passable on an antique instrument.
:cry:
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

With a decent horn, March to the Scaffold is MUCH easier to play on either a C or Bb ophicleide than tuba. And yes, one does not just "fool around" with anything on a symphony stage. No, they don't have the tonal flexibility of a modern instrument. But next to the chainsaw style of bass trombone playing, it can be pretty soothing...

And I was fortunate enough to be working for a maestro who was on an "authenticity" kick...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

windshieldbug wrote:And I was fortunate enough to be working for a maestro who was on an "authenticity" kick...
Michael, did this authentic performance include serpent and "peashooter" trombones (as well as the F bass trombone)?
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Chuck(G) wrote:Michael, did this authentic performance include serpent and "peashooter" trombones (as well as the F bass trombone)?
(don't forget Stölzel cornopeans... )
Of couse not! (hey- I didn't say he WAS authentic, just liked the show and tell visuals... and an ophicleide is visually impressive, not just aurally). Besides, even if it did, they wouldn't sound NEARLY as good as myself... :twisted:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
tuba_bloke
bugler
bugler

Post by tuba_bloke »

I have heard Nick Byrne in recital twice on the ophicleide now.

If you get a chance you should check this guy out, he is amazing!