Suitcase tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Suitcase tuba

Post by MaryAnn »

I found a post that mentioned a "suitcase tuba" that had the bell fitting in between like a lot of cut bell "suitcase style" horn cases have, so that the entire tuba (CC) fit in a regular sized suitcase. I went to the web site referred to, but couldn't find anything else. The idea is intriguing to me. Is there any more info out there? Full sized tuba that can be made to fit in a suitcase, and actually plays, is a great idea. It was someone, a woman, I think, who was traveling with a quintet. ??
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Suitcase tuba

Post by Three Valves »

Mucho $$$
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Beth Mitchell / Kanstul Flying tuba. Jack Kanstul told me they start at $11.5K, much do to the custom engineered case. Apparently the Navy band is eating them up.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Miraphone will make one for you too. Oystein Baadsvik's horn is of that design. Or you can go to one of the Wessex travel tubas.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

Has anybody ever done a DIY version of this with an old detachable bell tuba and a samsonite?
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

jacobg wrote:Has anybody ever done a DIY version of this with an old detachable bell tuba and a samsonite?
There is the Getzen Caravelle BBb tuba. It comes from the factory with a metal upright bell that stays at school and a plastic practice bell that stays at home and the 3/4 (minus) body goes in a suitcase and gets carried back and forth. They come along every so often sometimes missing one or both bells.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Could be easier to make a deal to use the Mira 186/similar that is probably already at the rehearsal or show site than to do this.
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

I wonder if the body of one of those very common Conn detachable bell tubas would fit in a samsonite?
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

KiltieTuba wrote:
jacobg wrote:Has anybody ever done a DIY version of this with an old detachable bell tuba and a samsonite?
I recall a York Master with something similar in a square case with a detachable bell - I can't recall where the photo is though.
Is this it?

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

That's neat. I don't "want" one but like the idea. I have a cut bell (French) horn, and found I should not be using a cut bell case. I use an old Reunion blues (pre-Cronkhite) leather fixed bell case for batting about. When I got a cut bell case a year or so ago, to protect the horn better in the car, within a couple weeks I dropped the bell and put some nice dents in it. No more cut bell cases for me....other people seem to do fine with them but I am too much of a klutz. Just like painting walls; I'm great with the roller but the cutting in looks like a five year old did it. Do NOT ask me how I was ever a professional violinist, but it does make sense that I didn't get to a higher level than regional orchestra, based on the lack of fine motor control.
PS: Wessex told me that the CC travel tuba does not have stellar intonation, and if I wanted one I should get the BBb, based on my pickiness about being able to play it in tune. But I ended up with the perfect tuba for me and have no plans to travel with it anywhere I can't drive.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Actually, although that case is very cool looking, I suspect that in-person, it is much larger than it appears to be in that picture. If you were to travel via airline with it, undoubtedly you would be hit with oversize and likely, overweight fees.

For airline travel, you'd actually have better luck with a two-piece case setup.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".