Should I complain??

The bulk of the musical talk
adam0408
3 valves
3 valves

Should I complain??

Post by adam0408 »

SO I just got my horn back from the only show in town that works on brass instruments, paid them a lot of dollars to flush my horn and look at the tight valves (1291 problems) and I looked at it and it had a giant booger from inside the horn and a bunch of greasy fingerprints all over the bottom bow.
The tech apparently put all of the top valve bumpers in upside down too.

Should I complain? I had them work on one of my electric basses and they did a great job setting it up, aside from the fact that it smells like cheap cologne... But it was a big price tag for the repairs/cleaning and I'm kind of miffed that they left a giant ugly booger on the outside of my horn... I don't want to get anybody in trouble, but I did pay a bunch of money for this so...
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Re: Should I complain??

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I always play before I pay. I have had stupid little things missed because they did not play the instrument before they called me to come get it. It is hard for them to say it is not their problem when they still have it.

Charlie C. Chowder
adam0408
3 valves
3 valves

Post by adam0408 »

That is the booger that I was talking about.
thejester10276
bugler
bugler

Post by thejester10276 »

If anything, I would at least kindly tell them about it so they don't let it happen again in the future, and for the possibility that they may reimburse you in some fashion.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

It's difficult when you run into a situation like this with the only show in town. Many of us have been in this situation and chem cleans are not cheap for our large horns. If there is a head technician there, shame on them for letting the work go out the door unchecked, if done by an apprentice. If the owner or head technician did it, so much the worse. Personally, I'd write it off, figure out that sort of basic maintenance yourself, and never go back there again.
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

Play it and look it over before you pay for the repair. The older I get the more I realize I am the most "human" person I ever met. Sometimes there is a miscommunication between the customers expectations and what is written on the repair tag. Sometimes in the middle of wipe down of the finished repair I get interrupted and would love a reminder to clean up something I missed.
Always let the other person in any relationship (business or personal) know what your expectations are for any transaction. Don't be afraid to complement for a job well done and don't be afraid to thoughtfully express if something isn't what you thought it was supposed to be. A better friendship and/or business relationship can grow. If after the second encounter/transaction (you deserve a second chance so doesn't everyone), you realize you are not getting your "money's worth", go on with your life. Find a new friend or new repair shop. The other might be just as glad as you that you are moving on.

Side bar: Quick, Quality, Cheap. Choose two. But then again, everyone seems to have different definitions of those three things and that can cause strains in a business relationship.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
adam0408
3 valves
3 valves

Post by adam0408 »

Matt Walters wrote:Play it and look it over before you pay for the repair. The older I get the more I realize I am the most "human" person I ever met. Sometimes there is a miscommunication between the customers expectations and what is written on the repair tag. Sometimes in the middle of wipe down of the finished repair I get interrupted and would love a reminder to clean up something I missed.
Always let the other person in any relationship (business or personal) know what your expectations are for any transaction. Don't be afraid to complement for a job well done and don't be afraid to thoughtfully express if something isn't what you thought it was supposed to be. A better friendship and/or business relationship can grow. If after the second encounter/transaction (you deserve a second chance so doesn't everyone), you realize you are not getting your "money's worth", go on with your life. Find a new friend or new repair shop. The other might be just as glad as you that you are moving on.

Side bar: Quick, Quality, Cheap. Choose two. But then again, everyone seems to have different definitions of those three things and that can cause strains in a business relationship.
I appreciate the input, and it had crossed my mind to check the horn over before I left, but they've never given me reason to doubt their work in the past. I will definitely check it over the next time, especially after giving them several hundred dollars.

The huge problem I have is that this is the only repair shop within a reasonable distance. To my knowledge, its the only one around within several hundred miles, and it is about an hour drive from where I am anyway. If we had another shop around the area I definitely would go there to try and develop some sort of personal relationship with the repair staff, but this place is a (fairly) big operation and they always seem to be busy. I've only spoken to the repair person one time, and it was a few years ago, and I think they've hired someone else in the meantime. I only get over to that store when I really need something, and it is only once a year or so.

Not that anyone probably cares, but my work schedule is such that I am always in a hurry to get in and get out of that place so I can make it to work, so I don't hang out there and talk to people, although the front desk people have always been very courteous and professional with me.

I'll probably send a gently worded email tomorrow and let them know my issue.