Conn 2xJ Upright Bell Reduction???

The bulk of the musical talk
sousaphonehero
bugler
bugler

Conn 2xJ Upright Bell Reduction???

Post by sousaphonehero »

Is there any way to reduce the size of the huge 24-inch upright bells for the Conn 2xJ series?
I would like to actually be able to fit my horn in a commercially available gig bag.
I know that Kanstul makes ~20-inch bells for these horns, but I want to see if I can do something that won't cost me $X,XXX
Anyone want to trade their Kanstul bell for a genuine Conn upright bell?
Thanks
Miraphone 186 CC 5v
Conn 21J
Buescher 4/4 Eb
Amati Kaiser Baritone
Wessex Trombone
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Conn 2xJ Upright Bell Reduction???

Post by EdFirth »

I've seen folks on here, fairly recently, looking for one of those bigger bells. You might try listing it in the For Sale section just to test the waters. The difference between a new Kanstul bell and the money you might get for the big one could very well be less than the cost of cutting the big one down. Just a thought. Ed
The Singing Whale
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

My apologies, I stopped reading your post at the four X's and missed the last line. Hope it works out for you. Ed
The Singing Whale
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

FWIW I ordered a one piece gig bag from Altieri for about $400. The bag is very nice and works very well for my 25J. This may or may not be cheaper than having the bell cut.
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

I would be willing to bet someone out there bought a Kanstul bell because they couldn't find a genuine Conn bell and would consider trading. Put your bell on the FOR sale/trade page and see what happens. I have the big Protec bag that fits 22 inch bell. I can't zip it all the way but I can get the 21J in it. Sometimes I just put the body in the bag and carry the bell.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.