F tuba mouthpiece suggestions for Miraphone

The bulk of the musical talk
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

F tuba mouthpiece suggestions for Miraphone

Post by RoosterTuba »

Hello tuba friends.

I'm currently in possession of a Miraclone F tuba (copied exactly like the Miraphone Elektra, 4+2 valve system). I really enjoy this horn! Plays well in the graveyard range, the 6 valves make the lower range really fun. However, I'm having problems finding a mouthpiece I like. I'm looking just for suggestions.

It's about a 5/4 F tuba, and currently am using a borrowed Floyd Cooley mouthpiece. I originally had a PT-65, but my tone sounded very stuffy with it. The FC Helleberg is a step in the right direction...but perhaps I'm missing something amazing that I hadn't thought of.

Have at it! I could use any suggestions at all for what might have worked in the past! Especially to those of you who own Miraphone Elektras.
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: F tuba mouthpiece suggestions for Miraphone

Post by thevillagetuba »

What do you not like about your current mouthpiece? What sound are you trying to get? What kinds of music/in what kinds of ensembles do you usually play?
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
rudysan
bugler
bugler

Post by rudysan »

Sellmansberger Solo 1 or 2. That's what I use with my Miraphone 181. If you like the sound of the Floyd Cooley, you can try the Sellmansberger Imperial.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Hi Stefan. Is this a newer, more in-tune clone? I remember playing a 6v Chinese F tuba 5 or 6 years ago and F in the staff was about 20-30c flat and no amount of mouthpiece alteration would fix that. I remember having to play that note 2-3. I wasn't aware there was another 6v F tuba clone out there.

I've found Sellmansberger Solo to really open up the low range on F tubas in general and mitigate any perceived stuffiness. That was a great choice on my German-style F. I used the Solo #2 with the euro shank.
S.G.F.
bugler
bugler

Post by S.G.F. »

Try a miraphone rose. I think their high end products are designed with that mouthpiece in mind.
Nirschl York
JBL Classic
Rudi Meinl 5/4 Bflat
Besson Sovreign 994

YouTube; SGFTuba
Freelance, Teacher & Paid Gig operator.
Sydney, Australia
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by RoosterTuba »

So to answer questions:

1. The FC Helleberg is actually really nice, but I'm wondering if I can sweeten up my upper range with something else?
2. The horn is amazingly IN TUNE except the high G in staff (I usually compensate with 1-3 or 4)
3. I'm going to be attending grad school this fall, and playing plenty of solo rep, orchestral rep, and quintet rep.

I really like the sound of the Floyd Cooley, but I just want to try some other mouthpieces out there, or if there is something very similar (FC hellebergs don't float around very often). I really want to find a fantastic F tuba mouthpiece for this horn.
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

I will agree with all of the others here that the Blokepiece Solo would be a great one tof try out. I use it and have both backbores to give me a lot of flexibility (the 1 adds a lot of color to the sound and is brighter than the 2, but the 2 is clearer for me and darkens the horn, which makes it blend better in chamber groups).

I have found that G to be a common problem on many Fs and doubt you'll get a mouthpiece that will fix that note without making others worse. Your best scenario would be to find a piece that didn't change the intonation and gives you the color change you want, which the Solo might just do.
Last edited by thevillagetuba on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
rudysan
bugler
bugler

Post by rudysan »

S.G.F. wrote:Try a miraphone rose. I think their high end products are designed with that mouthpiece in mind.
I second that. The TU27 is the Rose Solo model. TU28, which is I think the mouthpiece that comes with the Elektra, is the same as the TU27, but with a thinner and flatter rim. I personally prefer the TU28.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

re: that G, I've always considered 4 to be the "normal" fingering for that note. That's how I learned F tuba, at least.

bloke solo is what I used for years on my German style F (JBL).
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

Sellmansberger 1 with semi flat #2 rim or Rose solo TU27.
Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Slamson
bugler
bugler

Post by Slamson »

As I recall, the Petrushka ships with a TU27, but Matt Walters (Mr. Nice Guy!!!) swapped mine out for a TU21, which I've been using for quite some time.
sorry, I don't do signatures.