Question on WEDGE mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Question on WEDGE mouthpieces

Post by hubert »

Came across Wedge mouthpieces. Their special shape is being advocated on medical grounds. Who is acquainted with these mouthpieces and willing to comment? Do they really have the advantages promised on the website?
Thanks in advance,
Hubert
Last edited by hubert on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Question on WEDGE mouthpieces

Post by opus37 »

I play Wedge mouthpieces. I use the SJ solo on my Bubbie 5. I also had a similar rim made for Sellmansberger mouthpiece bases. As for the medial advantages, I think it does work. I'm less tried (lip wise) after a long practice or concert session. For tuba mouthpieces, the shaping is less pronounced than with smaller mouthpieces. I tried to get Oystein Baadsvik to try one, but we just ran out of time and the opportunity vanished.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

I've owned a Wedge and gave it a long trial run. There isn't anything wrong with them, but due to the width of a tuba mouthpiece the intended benefits of the specially shaped rim are diminished. I can see how the special design could be beneficial to trumpet and even trombone size mouthpieces. The design is meant to take pressure off the lips at the edge of your embouchure, but with the width of tuba mouthpieces as wide as they are, there is hardly any potential for detrimental pressure on the outside edge of your lips. Maybe if you had a really flat face.
KevinMadden
3 valves
3 valves

Post by KevinMadden »

I've been using wedges for about 2-3 years. I use the heavyweight gold plated H2 for my cc, and the regular 7B for my Eb, I found an increase in accuracy, endurance, and flexibility. At a slight loss of power. I've always used too much pressure and I think the CC mouthpiece has helped that. Long sessions of high solo lit is still a bear on my face on the Eb regardless.
Ithaca College, B.M. 2009
University of Nebraska - Lincoln, M.M. 2017, D.M.A. 2020
Wessex Artiste
Wessex "Grand" BBb, Wessex Solo Eb, Wessex Dulce
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Thanks a lot for your comments.
Hubert
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

kmorgancraw wrote:I've owned a Wedge and gave it a long trial run. There isn't anything wrong with them, but due to the width of a tuba mouthpiece the intended benefits of the specially shaped rim are diminished. I can see how the special design could be beneficial to trumpet and even trombone size mouthpieces. The design is meant to take pressure off the lips at the edge of your embouchure, but with the width of tuba mouthpieces as wide as they are, there is hardly any potential for detrimental pressure on the outside edge of your lips. Maybe if you had a really flat face.
Well, Sasha Johnson (for one) seems to think the rim is beneficial for more than just reducing pressure at the corners.

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.
ScottM
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottM »

You can get their mouthpieces in a plastic version at a more reasonable price to try them. If you like it, then order it in metal. That way you have a spare matching mouthpiece.
ScottM
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

pgym wrote:
kmorgancraw wrote:I've owned a Wedge and gave it a long trial run. There isn't anything wrong with them, but due to the width of a tuba mouthpiece the intended benefits of the specially shaped rim are diminished. I can see how the special design could be beneficial to trumpet and even trombone size mouthpieces. The design is meant to take pressure off the lips at the edge of your embouchure, but with the width of tuba mouthpieces as wide as they are, there is hardly any potential for detrimental pressure on the outside edge of your lips. Maybe if you had a really flat face.
Well, Sasha Johnson (for one) seems to think the rim is beneficial for more than just reducing pressure at the corners.
Yes... You'll have better sound, projection, intonation, endurance and flexibility just like every other mouthpiece promo reads.
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

kmorgancraw wrote:Yes... You'll have better sound, projection, intonation, endurance and flexibility just like every other mouthpiece promo reads.
Obviously, didn't bother reading what Mr. Johnson wrote. :roll:

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

pgym wrote:
kmorgancraw wrote:Yes... You'll have better sound, projection, intonation, endurance and flexibility just like every other mouthpiece promo reads.
Obviously, didn't bother reading what Mr. Johnson wrote. :roll:
I did. He didn't say anything beyond what is found in wedge's marketing.
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Sasha Johnson »

Feel free to private message me if you have any specific questions about Wedge mouthpieces. I helped Dave Harrison with the designs of the H2, the SG, the 7B and the SJ Solo. Note that I have nothing to do with producing nor selling these mouthpieces, but I do play them exclusively.
Thanks,
Sasha