Mouthpiece Advice

The bulk of the musical talk
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Mouthpiece Advice

Post by Musical_Eagle »

Hi all,
I know that this sort of advice has probably been requested hundreds of times over the years so hopefully I can try to be as to the point as possible.

I play a Miraphone 1291 CC and I am having some issues getting clarity in the sound, specifically with articulation. I prefer deeper funnel cups and semi wide inner diameter (thinking 32.5 to 33 mm but lean more towards 32.5) and flatter rims. Currently I play with an LM-7, I used to use a PT-50 but that was too woofy and unclear.

I'm not looking for a end all be all specific answer but rather options on what I should consider looking at and trying.

On a side note, is there an easy way to tell if my 1291 has a 1292 or 1291 leadpipe on it? I bought it used and I'm not sure on how to tell the difference.

Thanks for the help!
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Mouthpiece Advice

Post by Billy M. »

Blokepiece Symphony is a VERY good match with the horn, I'm testing an Orchestra Grand shank and an X shank right now to hopefully find more clarity.

Will post my thoughts on it when I'm able to get more feedback from colleagues.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Post by Musical_Eagle »

Thanks for the reply! I'll look into it. Is there a place that I can test them? I've also done some looking into Parker mouthpieces as well but I can't find a place to test them in person and I would prefer not to take the risk of buying and returning.

Also, I looked at the website and I couldn't find an X Shank. What is that? Also, just out of curiosity, which rim you prefer?

Thanks!
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

^^^^
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

for me best of many on a 191 BBb was a Schilke Geib. Not sure how far the 191/1291 similarities run...If your leadpipe is skinnier than a 191 maybe not, if your leadpipe is fatter than a 191 definitely get the Geib.
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

bloke wrote:You could call me... :oops:
901-465-4739
Yeah, what he said....

Billy Morris
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

It's not the rim size, it's the deeper funnel cup that is the problem. The bigger the tuba, sometimes the more rounded the bottom of the cup needs to be for clarity.

Every large tuba or sousaphone I have ever owned started sounding woofy with too deep a funnel cup, and cleared right up with a slightly shallower or rounded cup.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

Musical_Eagle wrote: Also, I looked at the website and I couldn't find an X Shank. What is that? Also, just out of curiosity, which rim you prefer?

Thanks!
Bloke has shared about the X shank here on the sponsors forum. I use the #2 rim in the 33.2mm size. It's a great fit for my face.

Billy Morris
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Post by Musical_Eagle »

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Joe, I'll give you a call once life settles down for me some. Do you have a preference on when you are available?

Thanks!