Which Protec Case for an old B&S CC Kaiser

The bulk of the musical talk
sidenius
bugler
bugler

Which Protec Case for an old B&S CC Kaiser

Post by sidenius »

I'm looking to puchase a Protec Case for my tuba but I'm not sure wether I should choose the C240 or the C241.
My tuba is an old (I guess from about 1980) B&S CC tuba with 4 rotary valves (Kaiser)
When I look at Protec's homepage they specify the internal dimensions of the C240 as Length: 47", Width: 20", Depth: 7,5".
The length is no problem, but concerned about the other dimensions

I would of course like my Protec to have the best fit and not to be oversized and I pressume that what's essential is not the depth or the width of the tuba but the circuit of the tuba?

I don't have the possibility to try the models in a store nearby but will be ordering online.
Does anybody use the Protec C240 with a close fit for a similar type of horn and maybe inform me about the dimensions of their tuba?
My B&S measures:
Width (at the leadpipe): 19,5"
Depth: (at the rotary valve section): 9,5"
Circuit (at 1. valve): 17"
Last edited by sidenius on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Which Protec Case for an old B&S CC Kaiser

Post by bisontuba »

Call Matt Walters.
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

New number on ProTec website are indeed confusing. Here are my rules of thumb that work with their bags that are all designed for front action tubas.

ProTec C-240 is for tubas with bell diameter up to 18" and length up to 42".

ProTec C-241 is for tubas with bell diameter up to 22" and length up to 44".

ProTec PL-251 is for tubas with bell diameter up to 18.5" and length of 37" with pad and about 39" without pad.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
sidenius
bugler
bugler

Post by sidenius »

Matt Walters wrote:New number on ProTec website are indeed confusing. Here are my rules of thumb that work with their bags that are all designed for front action tubas.

ProTec C-240 is for tubas with bell diameter up to 18" and length up to 42".

ProTec C-241 is for tubas with bell diameter up to 22" and length up to 44".

ProTec PL-251 is for tubas with bell diameter up to 18.5" and length of 37" with pad and about 39" without pad.
Thanks, Matt

As I read your guideline, I would not have to worry about the tuba measurements (depth, width, circuit) as long as the bell diameter and the horn length is within the limits?
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

When I look online at protec bags, I see only a "large" and a "small" but Matt has listed three sizes.

Below is what I see at online retailers:
The 1680 Ballistic exterior is extremely rugged and water resistant. Each bag features 2 exterior pockets, backpack straps, shoulder strap, oversized zippers, padded handle, and lined with soft velvoa. For added protection, deluxe bags are reinforced in the bell and valve areas. Fits 18-inch bell tubas (20" W x 46" L x 18.5" D) or 22-inch bell tubas (25" W x 46" L x 22.5" D).

But no model numbers are given. How does that above relate to the three model numbers Matt referred to?

The only place I can even find the smallest one (PL251) is on Amazon, and there is no clue as to who the seller is. Looked at Dillon and Baltimore, not on either site. I'm STILL trying to get a side zip bag for my Mphone 283.

MA
Minkrott
bugler
bugler

Post by Minkrott »

MaryAnn wrote:The only place I can even find the smallest one (PL251) is on Amazon, and there is no clue as to who the seller is. Looked at Dillon and Baltimore, not on either site. I'm STILL trying to get a side zip bag for my Mphone 283.

MA
Dillon's has the best price I could find. http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-22664-pro- ... eries.aspx" target="_blank
King 2341 New Style
King 2341 Recording Bell
GRBIC 1907 Eb
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Minkrott wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:The only place I can even find the smallest one (PL251) is on Amazon, and there is no clue as to who the seller is. Looked at Dillon and Baltimore, not on either site. I'm STILL trying to get a side zip bag for my Mphone 283.

MA
Dillon's has the best price I could find. http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-22664-pro- ... eries.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thanks. A search on the site using the word "Protec" didn't turn that one up for me. Could be I'm just a blithering idiot, too :) Most paces seem to come out to a little under $220 when shipping is included.
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

As I read your guideline, I would not have to worry about the tuba measurements (depth, width, circuit) as long as the bell diameter and the horn length is within the limits?
There is enough give in the ProTec bag design that unless you have some bazar homemade contraption, it will fit. Does it fit great, seldom as the bags are not custom made for each horn.

Most perfect fitment of ProTec Tuba Gig Bags are:
C-240 fits length of B&S 101 or 103 (with various names) up to 18" bell.
C-241 was designed for the 44" tall Cerveny 601 BBb tubas with 2 extra inches of bell room.
PL-251 was designed for the Miraphone 191, 291, 1291 BBb, CC, and Miraclone tubas when the extra pad is left in. With pad out, Cerveny CBB 686 is good fit and length should work for tall rotor F and Eb tubas but they will swim in there as designed for wider tubas. Miraphone BB186 is just a tad too tall for this bag.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

So the 251 is way too roomy for my Mphone 283? It is 36+ long and about 20" wide but of course has the front rotors, so it's doesn't have a thin waistline. I do carry a towel to put the bell on when in use, which would hopefully fit in the case.