Baer hunting

The bulk of the musical talk
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Baer hunting

Post by Ltrain »

I'm trying to catch Alan in his natural habitat (here in NYC)... which you think shouldn't be too hard, right?. Anyone privy to any upcoming or perhaps "under the radar" performances?

I'd love to catch him solo or with the NY Phil doing any major, tuba-heavy orchestral work where he's guaranteed to be playing (not an alternate if he's on sabbatical or something... not that there's anything wrong with alternates, I just haven't seen/heard Alan in almost 15 years since I had a lesson with him at IUP).

His "Baer Tracks" website hasn't been updated for quite some time and I'm not literature-knowledgeable to enough to discern which works he might be "featured." According to Google, it's been almost a year since he did a solo performance in NYC (JW Concerto last June, I believe).

Tracking this guy is way harder than it should be given the fact that his name is everywhere! :shock:

Any help from "those in the know" would be great. :tuba:
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Baer hunting

Post by bort »

I'm confused... I lived in NYC for 8 years, and went to a few NYPO concerts per year. Never once did I see a tuba player other than Alan. One time I saw Morris K. on TV subbing for Alan, but that's about it. BTW, Morris is also GREAT!
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

bort wrote:I'm confused... I lived in NYC for 8 years, and went to a few NYPO concerts per year. Never once did I see a tuba player other than Alan. One time I saw Morris K. on TV subbing for Alan, but that's about it. BTW, Morris is also GREAT!
I can clear up the confusion with a little more context. I'm getting back into tuba and classical music in general after 10 years. I have no doubt I'll probably see AB with NYPO any given night, so to refrain my Qs:
1. What specific upcoming program(s) do y'all recommend I check out?
2. Any insight to when and where he might have a solo performance in NYC in the near future (per my comment about Baer Tracks seemingly not being maintained)?

Make more sense? :D
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

BrooklynBass wrote: 1. What specific upcoming program(s) do y'all recommend I check out?
This one:
https://nyphil.org/concerts-tickets/1617/yo-yo-ma

Yep, it's sold out (you can call/monitor to see if any tickets get released). It is sure to be a great concert and not just because of Symphonie fantastique :wink:
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

This one on April 22nd looks good. There's a big tuba excerpt in Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet plus music from the brass quintet.

Looks like they're doing Also Sprach on the 27th and 29th (two tuba parts).

Das Rheingold is on the program at the beginning of June. Lots of great low register licks.

They're doing Mahler 7 right after that. Not the busiest Mahler symphony for tuba, but would still be great for tuba-watching.
[/post]
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Tom wrote:
BrooklynBass wrote: 1. What specific upcoming program(s) do y'all recommend I check out?
This one:
https://nyphil.org/concerts-tickets/1617/yo-yo-ma

Yep, it's sold out (you can call/monitor to see if any tickets get released). It is sure to be a great concert and not just because of Symphonie fantastique :wink:
Damn. That would have been awesome! Im going to keep a look out for this one. Thanks, all... this has been valuable :o
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

You can see him at Rutgers Brass Day on March 5 at Rutgers University.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I just went to the website . . . Rutgers Brass Day has been cancelled . . . should have checked before I posted . . . http://www.masongross.rutgers.edu/exten ... /brass-day" target="_blank

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?