Opinions Needed On Best Tuba Stand

The bulk of the musical talk
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Opinions Needed On Best Tuba Stand

Post by WagnerRing »

For those of you who use a tuba stand for storing the tuba upright, which stand do you prefer and why? Which stand is the best constructed, most stable, and most protective? The most available options seem to be the K&M or the Hercules.

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Stands-and-a ... tand-black" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://herculesstands.com/us/products/w ... ss/ds552b/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Opinions Needed On Best Tuba Stand

Post by arpthark »

I have both. The Hercules is better IMO but takes up more room. Feels a bit more sturdy.

The K&M is a little wobbly on larger tubas.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

I use a Hercules stands that I have modified like Roger Lewis did in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48925

I find that, probably because I lean forward and therefore pit some of my weight on the stand, that these tend to fail for me (as do all of my stock stands in one way or another). With the modification I have had zero problems, though none of my students have had any problems with these stands failing.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

thevillagetuba wrote:I use a Hercules stands that I have modified like Roger Lewis did in the following thread:

I find that, probably because I lean forward and therefore pit some of my weight on the stand, that these tend to fail for me (as do all of my stock stands in one way or another). With the modification I have had zero problems, though none of my students have had any problems with these stands failing.
I think that's describing a playing stand and the OP is asking about a storage stand.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

arpthark wrote:
thevillagetuba wrote:I use a Hercules stands that I have modified like Roger Lewis did in the following thread:

I think that's describing a playing stand and the OP is asking about a storage stand.
You are completely right (I don't know how I misread his post :oops: ). I use Hercules stands for storage, as well. They do take up a bit of space but they are the sturdiest stands I have found for my horns and the ones I am least worried about being knocked over by a pet or unobservant student.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Someone here built a 1/3 size open wood box to put the tuba in...

Those looked really sharp, not like some kind of polio era medical device!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
acjcf2
bugler
bugler

Post by acjcf2 »

Hercules stand, hands down.
"Keep Calm and Play Tuba."
Dillon 12915 5/4 BBb
Dillon Olka CB2
Conn Helleberg 120S
Jupiter 378L, used, beat, and leaky but still plays in tune.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I rest my tuba on the floor on its bell, with a cover on it to keep dust off. Asking seriously and not sarcastically, why would someone want a stand?
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Hi Mary Ann.

I think (IMHO) the best reason for the stand is to keep the tuba upright, thus keeping all the water from migrating to the mouthpipe and other more remote crooks (and crannies). I also hate having to continually wipe off the bell flare when the water exits the MP and drips on the bell. (That water can easily eat the lacquer at the bead on the bell if it sits there.) Even when we empty the horn at the end of playing, the warm air inside will continually condense.

Do I put the tuba on the bell? Of course I do and it is the most convenient way to store it.
But ... when I have to do a quick change from F to CC in the orchestra, especially with a piston horn, there is always that ritual of spinning the horn and trying to remove water, and when I'm in a hurry I never seem to get all of it.

There is a stand that I really covet. Alexander von Putcamer uses one in the Berlin Phil.
Kolberg, a German company makes one, but they are terribly expensive. Almost $500.

You simply keep the tuba in normal playing orientation and when you are done, just place it off to the side and ahead of you.
Having 2 would be ideal. The F tuba in one, and the Contra Bass Tuba in the other.

But being in an orchestra with a regular venue means you need not schlepp these back and forth.
Also in whipping that tuba up from being on the bell and giving it the perfunctory spin, I have more than once. bonked the bass trombonist next to me, who just doesn't seem to understand my need for elbow room. They learn after a while.

More recently, I found that those rubber-like dashboard pads when stuck at the right spot on the bottom bow keeps the tuba from slipping. They however do not seem to last very long and get torn up in a week or so. Even so, as convenient as they are, when the weight of the tuba is on your leg for several hours, that is not a good thing. But I use a BBC tuba rest for the heavier more cumbersome tubas.

For a stand in my office, I use one of those cradle type stands. Wessex sells one. Not too heavy to schlepp if you need to.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
acjcf2
bugler
bugler

Post by acjcf2 »

Mary Ann, I had my Mack Brass BBb TU200 one month and rested it on the bell (as Tom advised me not to) and it fell over and dented the bell and some slides. Yeah, I use a cradle stand. Most of the damage has been repaired but it sure did not make my day. I use a medium sized roller suitcase to carry my support equipment.
"Keep Calm and Play Tuba."
Dillon 12915 5/4 BBb
Dillon Olka CB2
Conn Helleberg 120S
Jupiter 378L, used, beat, and leaky but still plays in tune.
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

This is the stand I use: http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/m ... mode=model
Really heavy duty, discontinued, but still available at some places.
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

Many thanks for the helpful replies.
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

MaryAnn wrote:I rest my tuba on the floor on its bell, with a cover on it to keep dust off. Asking seriously and not sarcastically, why would someone want a stand?
I keep mine in a stand to take up less space and prevent it from falling. It looks nice and if I kept it in a case, in the basement, I would take it out less to play it.

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Polkahero wrote:This is the stand I use: http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/m ... mode=model
Really heavy duty, discontinued, but still available at some places.
And it's a playing stand as well. I've seen these on sale for $99.

Has possibilities....
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

I have a K&M and it is great. I don't have any huge tubas, but I've seen photos on here of giant recording bell tubas in the K&M, and the owners reported no issues.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

arpthark wrote:I have both. The Hercules is better IMO but takes up more room. Feels a bit more sturdy.

The K&M is a little wobbly on larger tubas.
That seems strange because the Hercules LOOKS less stable and holds it higher off the floor.

I use the K@M style now but the Hercules looks easier to place and remove the tuba...

(Bracing gets in the way of mine)
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

3V:

You'd think so by looking at the pix, but the Hercules is very sturdy and the tripod is very stable. Basically uses the weight of the tuba to the stand's advantage, and the fact that the bell and the bottom bow are cradled makes it more secure. I've inadvertently bumped the vacuum (and my body) against it a few times and it's surprisingly stable. Used it for about 8 years with no problems.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Birthday present!!

Thanks.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Happy Birthday to me...

WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

How about "tuba pallet" type stands? This design seems space efficient and allows storing the tuba bell down, while limiting risk for accidental damage from tipping over. Anyone using a tuba pallet for storage? For example the tuba pallet from BBC?

http://www.baltimorebrass.net/picture.p ... ries&id=22
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.