Cheap mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
apurdum
bugler
bugler

Cheap mouthpieces

Post by apurdum »

Does anyone have experience with K-tone mouthpiece that sell on Amazon for $35. Also can anyone compare the Wessex Helleberg to the Conn.
To explain what I'm looking for, I currently play on Conn Helleberg, and like everything about it except the sharp inner rim. I'm looking for something cheap to try, preferably with a rounded rim.
Miraphone 188CC
Henri Gautier Virtuoso Eb
Weril Euphonium
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: Cheap mouthpieces

Post by Michael Bush »

Call bloke. I can think of a solution to that in his line, but it would be best coming from him.
apurdum
bugler
bugler

Post by apurdum »

I would love to try one of Blokes mouthpieces, unfortunately they are a little out of my budget.
Miraphone 188CC
Henri Gautier Virtuoso Eb
Weril Euphonium
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

apurdum wrote: To explain what I'm looking for, I currently play on Conn Helleberg, and like everything about it except the sharp inner rim. I'm looking for something cheap to try, preferably with a rounded rim.
It might be another Conn Helleberg. That mouthpiece went through some changes over the years. I think roughly speaking the rim may have become rounder in the '70s, but at any rate lots of players have noticed that some are sharper edged, and flatter, than others.

Here's a picture of the Faxx "hb" Helleberg. The rim still has a well defined Helleberg edge, but you can decide for yourself if it's sharp or not. I like everything about this rim, and the rest of the mouthpiece too - I have a small pile of vaguely similar mouthpieces and they all play OK, but this one works noticeably better for me. Looks like you can get it for $55 - $65, and the quality is very good - reliable consistency, heavily plated, made in Germany.

Schilke and Laskey mouthpieces are fairly high budget new, but they can be found used occasionally, and some of the Helleberg style models are somewhat like Conn's but without the sharp edge. Bloke's reference to "Helleberg-II" I take to be the Schilke model. The Schilke-Helleberg, however, I would not recommend as a Helleberg type, despite the name, as its internal contours are a little too "vase shaped" to serve (or perhaps it's something else about the mouthpiece, but anyway it doesn't have it.) I have never seen a Schilke 67, but it's a possibility. Along the same lines, if you don't mind stepping down a bit in size, the Conn 2 was a fine mouthpiece with a cup about like a Conn 7B, but a more rounded rim; the later UMI 1792-2 may be the same thing with a different outer shape.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

It's not difficult to round off the rim of a mouthpiece by putting it on a lathe.
(You could practice on a Kellyberg.)
Once you get it to the shape you like just send it out to be plated.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

I'm sitting here with a number of "Hellebergs" staring at me. The one marketed more recently by Conn does have that rather flat and somewhat sharp rim. An old one from about 1930 is somewhat rounder but also has the smaller cup and a more narrow throat. The Sidey Hellebergs that I have are closer to the present Conns with a relatively flat rim. The Wessex sports a more rounded rim and for me it is somewhat more comfortable. From what understand from the folklore of Helleberg mouthpieces is that in the "old days' Gus Helleberg had mouthpieces made for his contemporaries and they did vary quite a bit. From what I understand, the Conn Helleberg was not the first generation but rather something that was marketed later with the "Conn - Helleberg" name. I have 2 from the late 1960s that pretty much resemble what is offered today. They happen to have the trimmed down exterior with out the extra weight and knurling around the throat.

There is something else regarding the rim, and for the life of me I can not remember the details, but the rounded vs the flat rim has been referred to as Indiana vs Chicago and I have no idea which is which.

Today when the term "Helleberg" is tossed around, people are usually referring to the current Conn incarnation and/or sometimes to one of the Schilke models.

The Helleberg mouthpieces were basically skelekonized, unlike the old King 26 that was more of heavy weight. Sensitive players will understand how that extra weight implies a different gravitas or lightness to the sound. So in effect a Helleberg is more than just the interior shape but also the exterior.

I happen to like the Sidey and also the Wessex representations. The Sidey rim is flat and the Wesses more rounded, Both work for me.

I think if had to choose, and finance was an issue, the Wessex HB would be a good pick.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

apurdum wrote:
To explain what I'm looking for, I currently play on Conn Helleberg, and like everything about it except the sharp inner rim. I'm looking for something cheap to try, preferably with a rounded rim.
I suspect you have the 120S (That's what I use and I like the rim)

Try a 7B version of the Conn or a Kellyberg plastic.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
E. Green
bugler
bugler

Inexpensive Mouthpieces

Post by E. Green »

The 7B, the Conn 2 or King 2 and the FAXX mouthpiece all have the same cup, as made by the same supplier. Bottom line on that would be to buy the one sold at the best price.
The used Perantucci mouthpiece as recommended would be fine. Tucci's mouthpieces are now sold by Baltimore Brass and the Canadian Brass Store. The CB Store shows these for $99.00.
Harvey Phillips and John Fletcher both used the Conn 2. Harvey on his small CC-tuba and John on an Eb.

Eugene
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Inexpensive Mouthpieces

Post by Donn »

E. Green wrote:The 7B, the Conn 2 or King 2 and the FAXX mouthpiece all have the same cup, as made by the same supplier. Bottom line on that would be to buy the one sold at the best price.
Well, maybe.
- Conn 7B - Conn/Selmer reportedly made in Germany, but that could mean Klier, Schmidt, Tilz, Lausmann or their own shop - information on that would be welcome!
- Conn 2 - out of production for generations, mostly likely always made in the US?
- FAXX - Reportedly made by Lausmann, they have models fhb and an fhb7b. The one I described above is the fhb, the one that's like a 7B is the fhb7b, and they aren't likely the same!
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Donn wrote:
E. Green wrote:The 7B, the Conn 2 or King 2 and the FAXX mouthpiece all have the same cup, as made by the same supplier. Bottom line on that would be to buy the one sold at the best price.
Well, maybe.

- Conn 2 - out of production for generations, mostly likely always made in the US?
Not sure what you consider a generation length, but the new style King 2341's back when they first came out in the early 2000's were being shipped with Conn 2 mouthpieces -sometimes stamped UMI 2. Don't know if that is still true.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

tofu wrote:Not sure what you consider a generation length, but the new style King 2341's back when they first came out in the early 2000's were being shipped with Conn 2 mouthpieces -sometimes stamped UMI 2. Don't know if that is still true.
The mouthpiece I saw come that way had a slightly more elaborate exterior shape. Similar enough to suggest that they're related, but not a lot of info on exactly how closely - exact same rim, cup, throat etc.? UMI 1792-2. If it's really the same, you could say the Conn 2 was briefly revived in this form recently. The original Conn 2 maybe went out of production along with many other classic items in the '70s? and was made for so many years that it's easier to find one than the UMI revival.

For that matter, I think some players with more historic examples to look at think that the Conn 2 is the same but for exterior shape as the earlier production Conn Hellebergs. And then there's the weird coincidence where some Schilke 67s have that distinctive Conn exterior - how close is the 67 to Conn 2 inside?
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

My vote would be one of the Kelly plastic mouthpieces. I have a 24AW that is a dream to play, and I like to use it in the winter for "Christmas Caroling"..... and love the fact of it not getting as cold as a metal mouthpiece. Quality and comfort are top notch, and lots of colors!! The model I got was modeled after the Bach 24AW and is well worth the money!!
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

apurdum wrote:I would love to try one of Blokes mouthpieces, unfortunately they are a little out of my budget.
Some people around here :roll: thrive on specifics...

So instead of "cheap" you should have said "Well under $100" which is what I consider "cheap."

A Conn 7b or Faxx equivalent frequently retail for $79 or less, the Kellyberg $37.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I have become a FaxxHB convert. The rim is not as flat or as sharp as the 120S, and sounds better in my Mackbrunner than the 120S did. I wish it came with a euro shank, but I have an adapter from Wessex that works OK with it.