possible scam

The bulk of the musical talk
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

possible scam

Post by pjv »

I'm posting this here 'cause I've no idea where it should go.
A guy is selling this;

Besson Sovereign BE982-2 EEB Tuba-Ex Demo

for €2800 on various different sites, in various countries and under different names, but always with the exact same advertisement and pictures of what looks like a brand new tuba.
I contacted the seller who gave yet, a different name, claiming he started playing as a hobby and is now selling the tuba used. I could come pick it up in Sweden or he could send it if I paid the money in advance to an escrow service. I could then try it out for three days and still return the horn. He says he's a manager at a business that sells tractors and other machinery. He gave his full name, business e-mail and website. And indeed there is a manger listed on this website under that name.
I've of coarse no idea if this is the same person or if this business really even exists.
Interestingly enough, the next advertisement is also doing the rounds;

Besson International BE782-1 EEB Tuba-EXDEMO 4 Valve

for €2650. It's another ex-demo, looks perfectly new, and has the exact same background in the pictures.
Also on various sites under various names.
The price to quality looks too good to be true, so I think it's a scam. I've no idea how that'd work if I'd sent the money. Can someone fake an escrow service?

I'd be happy to post links a names but it didn't seam appropriate at this time. A simple google search will alleviate the curious mind.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: possible scam

Post by Ken Herrick »

Two very good posts to keep people aware of the need for caution!
Free to tuba: good home
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

When I saw the ad all the alarms went off in my head so I was never that serious about it.
But for that price I had to at least do the first follow up.
Thanks for your post.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

These 2 tuba models have the same main bugle tubing, but the Imperial is non-compensating and it has less guard wire, which makes its response between notes very uneven. Top of staff Ab will explode outin a loud forte, in the middle of a soft passage. I had one on loan, while my 981 was built.

These 2 models are so different in quality that their prices as presented here are too close. Can the differences in the valve systems be seen from the photos?

Sweden has its own Krone. They are not part of the Euro zone.

I would like to have the links for the sales pages, as this smells fishy.

Klaus
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

PM sent
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Ask if you can pick it up in person. Of they give you some story about being out of town and someone else will be shipping, bla bla bla, then it's most likely a scam. Since you had to ask the question already, the red flags have gone up so go with your instinct, stay away.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707