something I wish existed...

The bulk of the musical talk
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: something I wish existed...

Post by Three Valves »

Don't think small, think bigly...

With it's own heating element in the tuba itself, you could boil water for tea and make toast!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

I don't think you use it on stage, I think you use it to prevent the tuba from getting chilled in the firstplace. Cigarette lighter powered for the car.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Fine and good for travel, but doesn't address the tacet movement problems. Some of us blow through the tuba in long rests to fix that problem....but it is a hassle, and could be distracting to the audience.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

STATIC ELECTRICITY!

Some coating that you could bow or otherwise manipulate during the tacets...
(plus, it would make those viola player's hair stand on end!) :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Okay, I will take the bait and offer a real comment. (I guess I'm just not as witty as some of the TNFJ)

Hey! It's a great idea. I know it is cuz I think of it every winter here in Minnesota where it takes close to 20 minutes to defrost and then warm up. Often the venue is chilly as players migrate in and out with doors swinging chilly air on the the stage. I just keep thinking a regular heating pad laying on the floor with the horn sitting/laying on top or in the case. Or, if its a side loading gig bag, having it attached to the bottom side (yes - with velcro) and simply plugging it in, as soon as you arrive, would not be all that inconvenient. But, I do understand about the thermostat thing. I'm not sure, but they probably have low, medium and high settings. But not sure if they would shut off when they reach a certain temp. I could imagine the tuba being very warm and playing dreadfully sharp and then having to cool down. I'm thinking a heating pad or blanket on the stage might be a bit awkward as many venues are pretty tight in the back row low brass department.

I often bring a rubber mat 28 x 28 and lay it beside my chair where it sit my tuba. It saves scratching the bell but also marks my turf and seems to deter other players from encroaching into the "tuba danger zone"

Then on the other hand, are there solutions to taking a 100 degree tuba out of a car at a park concert and trying to cool it down? Playing through a warm tuba is like trying to talk with helium. But I gues we just all get used to it. That's often the case where it seems like violas would come unglued in that hundred degree weather.

Ah! The viscisitudes of 'climate change.'
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

Heck, what if you ran a current through the tuba itself and used it like a giant heating element? Just clip an electrode to each end and place it into a stand, maybe.

Of course, lots of ways to have it go wrong, and I'm not an electrical engineer. . .
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

windshieldbug wrote:STATIC ELECTRICITY!

Some coating that you could bow or otherwise manipulate during the tacets...
(plus, it would make those viola player's hair stand on end!) :shock:
Or worse...

:shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

southtubist wrote:Heck, what if you ran a current through the tuba itself and used it like a giant heating element? Just clip an electrode to each end and place it into a stand, maybe.

Of course, lots of ways to have it go wrong, and I'm not an electrical engineer. . .
That wouldn't create much heat on a plated (or bare brass) instrument without using a LOT of amps. The result (if you used enough power to heat the tuba) would be creating a fairly significant shock hazard. Even if running a voltage generator at high frequency to reduce the hazards from DC current, it would be very similar to an electric fence used to keep cattle. I can explain the math on both concepts (DC or High Frequency), but don't really have the time for such a post.

On a laquered instrument, you run the risk of damaging the finish. In fact, you would need (or very quickly create) an un-laquered spot to make the connections in the first place. Once the laquer is damaged, you have the same hazards as an unlaquered instrument. That does assume that instrument laquer is thick enough protect you from the voltage, which is actually a fairly good assumption - most wire insulation is way thicker than it needs to be so that it can take a nick in the coating without exposing the copper (or aluminum) wire that's carrying voltage.

Short answer - No. Just stick with an electric blanket, or drop an incandescent light bulb (think automotive work lamp) down the bell.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Seems like a cover like the ones made for Besson tubas used by the British military bands (wrap-around with holes for valve access and slides) electrified like an electric blanket would be a good solution.
Last edited by GC on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

This is just the distraction I needed today...

If you're willing to control a toggle switch and wrap a heat tape around the pipes, you could use something like this (self-regulated heat trace cable) to keep your tuba warm - https://www.pentairthermal.com/products ... et="_blank.

You would need to build a small electrical box assembly with a GFCI protector and a light switch at the end of the cord between this cable and the extension cord that you run to the outlet on the wall.

Here's the residential version from the same company (Raychem) - http://www.nuheat.com/products/find-flo ... g-you-need.

Unfortunately, the estimated cost in materials alone is over $300, and that's if you can figure out where to buy it.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
pittbassdaddy
bugler
bugler

Post by pittbassdaddy »

windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

PaulMaybery wrote:viscisitudes[vicissitudes]

Hardly a back row word(unless applying to conductors... )! :shock: :wink:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

pittbassdaddy wrote:Would something like these work? Size is larger than requested.
The Digital Heat Mat is designed to achieve the desired heat temperature within 5 hours.
That might cramp bloke's style a little...
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

How about this? :

Sunbeam 002013-912-000 King Size XpressHeat Heating Pad, Green , 12 x 24-inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NZ66KU/re ... VybB7MFRBP" target="_blank
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

This any better?

TherMedic PW150L far infrared Heating Pad (Hot/Warm Therapy)(Pain Relief ,Multi Function) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7CPKDI/re ... VybXRN2P0E" target="_blank
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

If Mr. Miagi could fix Danielson's leg with a few rub of the hands, I am sure this product could reach 90 degrees. If not, what can you get your hand temp up to? :)
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

you want battery powered, and that's probably not enough juice to heat.
So wrap the desired tuba parts in plastic tubing, and use a drinking fountain pump to circulate hot water from a cooler.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Okay. Try this out. How 'bout we create a box-like platform for the tuba to sit (bell down)? Maybe it is like 2' x 2' and about 4 inches thick. With a handle on one end, it could be carried like a suitcase. In the middle of the spot where the bell sits is an opening with a computer fan that is blowing warm air up into the horn. Those things are pretty quiet. At this point have no idea from where the warm air is coming. I don't have to know that as I'm only brainstorming. Someone else can figure that out. Whadaya think?
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

Something like a ski boot dryer?
https://www.rei.com/product/891154/dryg ... boot-dryer" target="_blank
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

TheGoyWonder wrote:you want battery powered, and that's probably not enough juice to heat.
I'm with you, the need to run a cord to the nearest outlet is going to keep this thing from being used. Hand warmers might be the most easily acquired heat source. There are a variety of options - lighter fluid catalytic, rechargeable batteries, chemical pads that you can recharge by heating them up. Some of them may put out too much heat, like the catalytics unless they come in smaller sizes.

Or you could just make a quick pass with a gas torch.