something I wish existed...

The bulk of the musical talk
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Re: something I wish existed...

Post by Eflatdoubler »

This any better?

TherMedic PW150L far infrared Heating Pad (Hot/Warm Therapy)(Pain Relief ,Multi Function) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7CPKDI/re ... VybXRN2P0E" target="_blank
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

If Mr. Miagi could fix Danielson's leg with a few rub of the hands, I am sure this product could reach 90 degrees. If not, what can you get your hand temp up to? :)
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

you want battery powered, and that's probably not enough juice to heat.
So wrap the desired tuba parts in plastic tubing, and use a drinking fountain pump to circulate hot water from a cooler.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Okay. Try this out. How 'bout we create a box-like platform for the tuba to sit (bell down)? Maybe it is like 2' x 2' and about 4 inches thick. With a handle on one end, it could be carried like a suitcase. In the middle of the spot where the bell sits is an opening with a computer fan that is blowing warm air up into the horn. Those things are pretty quiet. At this point have no idea from where the warm air is coming. I don't have to know that as I'm only brainstorming. Someone else can figure that out. Whadaya think?
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

Something like a ski boot dryer?
https://www.rei.com/product/891154/dryg ... boot-dryer" target="_blank
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

TheGoyWonder wrote:you want battery powered, and that's probably not enough juice to heat.
I'm with you, the need to run a cord to the nearest outlet is going to keep this thing from being used. Hand warmers might be the most easily acquired heat source. There are a variety of options - lighter fluid catalytic, rechargeable batteries, chemical pads that you can recharge by heating them up. Some of them may put out too much heat, like the catalytics unless they come in smaller sizes.

Or you could just make a quick pass with a gas torch.
Matt Good
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matt Good »

I have often wished my horn was painted black.

There is a huge amount of radiation that is emitted from our canopy in the Meyerson Symphony Center. My black tails coat gets warm fairly quickly after the concert starts. This will change someday when LED flood lights will be installed. I will also say that my raw brass tubas fare better with temperature than my silver-plate or lacquered finished instruments.

When we perform in Vail, CO, the Ford Amphitheater has infrared heating units in the ceiling and those heaters are no help with a tuba that has a silver-plated finish (It is an outdoor venue at 8100 ft above sea level).

-Matt
Matt Good
Principal Tuba
Dallas Symphony Orchestra
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

As for the electrical blnket in the car: place it under the tuba.

In many performance contexts the energy needed to keep brasses and woodwinds warm is already there in form of the stage lights. If lamps were equipped with small silent fans, that sent the heated air trough channels that could be connected to a distribution system within the risers, then a lukewarm breeze of about 37º Celcius could keep tacet (and doubling) instruments at a manageable temperature.

I think it was Fritz Busch who in his book on orchestral practices told about some clarinettists having built small boxes with a light bulbs as heaters for their alternative pitch instruments, so the idea isn’t new. But then the old style light bulbs are banned here now.

Klaus