A Piggy in an orchestra Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: A Piggy in an orchestra

Postby pjv » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:26 am

So what are the "quality combinations" that help to make the Piggy one of the winners in the tuba world?
Let's say the quality of the build/assembly is a given and that rage doesn't play a part in this.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Michael Bush » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:59 am

pjv wrote:So what are the "quality combinations" that help to make the Piggy one of the winners in the tuba world?
Let's say the quality of the build/assembly is a given and that rage doesn't play a part in this.

It's a big sounding tuba in a small package.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Postby arpthark » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:26 am

Post Piggy pix, perhaps? Posthaste, preferably!

For real, I love the sound of a Piggy. I owned John Cradler's old one for a few months, I believe that's floating around here now. Excellent little tuba.
Blake
Gnagey Holton/King CC
Schiller compensating Eb
arpthark
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:42 am

arpthark wrote:Post Piggy pix, perhaps? Posthaste, preferably!

done.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby 58mark » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 am

arpthark wrote:Post Piggy pix, perhaps? Posthaste, preferably!

already been done

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50388

you guys are making me regret selling my piggy I owned for 18 years. Thanks a lot
Mark
58mark
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Roger Lewis » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:06 am

On the previous page the photos show my Sear piggy in the top photo. I know as has the Rudy Meinl valve paddles and linkages on it.

Putting it consisely the piggy is a small horn you can "push". You can get it to play a lot bigger than it looks.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Ace » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:22 pm

bloke wrote:Though .835" bore, I found that they were outfitted with the 681 model's .795" bore rotors (except with .835" bore knuckles brazed to the outsides of the .795" bore rotor casings).

Joe, I'm curious about how the .795" dimension meeting up with the .835" might have affected the tone, resistance, etc. If Cerveny had used .835" bore rotors, would that have made the Piggy even better than it was? Would it have become an air hog?

Thanks, Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Ace wrote:
bloke wrote:Though .835" bore, I found that they were outfitted with the 681 model's .795" bore rotors (except with .835" bore knuckles brazed to the outsides of the .795" bore rotor casings).

Joe, I'm curious about how the .795" dimension meeting up with the .835" might have affected the tone, resistance, etc. If Cerveny had used .835" bore rotors, would that have made the Piggy even better than it was? Would it have become an air hog?

Thanks, Ace

' distant past stories (back when it was vogue-ish to buy these...basically: the playable/cheap predecessor to East German-then-Russian-then-Chinese tubas) told of "scooping" those rotors.
Rotary valves (in general) are part of the resistance formula of tubas. Rotary valves, generally, tend to add resistance anyway (when compared to piston valves).
The only issues I had with those "Cerv'-Piggy" tubas were [1] the same as with any only-four-valves C tuba...plus [2] the "wild" intonation I encountered with some of them just below the middle of the staff (C/B).
bloke

Previous

Return to TubeNet