A Piggy in an orchestra Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

A Piggy in an orchestra

Postby Michael Bush » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:31 am

I was worried at first, but it would have to be a *lot* bigger orchestra for this to be not enough tuba.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: A Piggy in an orchestra

Postby Ace » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:43 am

Reminds me of a phone conversation I had years ago with our esteemed TubeNetter, Roger Lewis. He said a big percentage of his professional playing, including orchestras, was done on his Cerveny Piggy.

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:53 am

PK took one on tour (decades ago) with Philly...
It was heard.
It was neither (to my teenage ears) a "glorious" nor a "bad" sound.

bloke "not judging...just reporting"

<sidebar>
TRUE:
As I was walking up to the hall (past the stage door), Ormandy stepped out of a cab and tripped (double curb) - heading for the pavement. I caught him. :|
</sidebar>
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Michael Bush » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:00 am

bloke wrote:PK took one on tour (decades ago) with Philly...
It was heard.
It was neither (to my teenage ears) a "glorious" nor a "bad" sound.

Controlling for the vast difference in user ability both in the tuba player and the orchestra as a whole, that's pretty much my assessment. No problem being heard. Not a half bad sound.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Postby Roger Lewis » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 pm

The above poster is correct. For about 20 years my only CC tuba was a Walter Sear piggy. I won Tanglewood on that horn and an older Perrantuci F tuba. I played it with the Boston Pops that summer and it worked fine. The piggy is a horn you can "push". You can play it a lot bigger than it looks. Sometimes though it depends on the player. Great horn and still using it today.

When one of my orchestras scheduled Mahler 2, that's when the Yorkbrunner joined the family.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:26 pm

I played a piggy for 18 years in an orchestra. A couple times I wish I had more firepower (Pines of Rome) but it served me well. I did get a massive amount of compliments on the tone of my 601 when I made the swap, but I thought the blend with the trombones and horns was better on the piggy
Formerly 58Mark
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:16 pm

ValveSlide wrote:The only catch is that "603" and "piggy" have been applied to a number of designs. All similar, they have changed significantly several times over the years. Good or bad or just "different" is up to the player, I suppose.

The first two I ever saw/heard were
- one belonging to a kid with the Australian Youth Orchestra (on tour, young man - my age - stayed at my parents' house). It was the first "really large bore" tuba that I ever played. This was probably in 1974.
- (again) the one that PK took with him on tour with Philly (same year)...

...so those to which I referred were from that era, and sported four rotors.

I believe they attracted a great deal of interest because they were powerful sounding, looked different, felt different to play, sounded different (bell so close to the player's ears), and were well under $1500.
bloke

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:22 pm

very early piggy

more piggys from "middle age" to modern

Formerly 58Mark
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:00 pm

Some of those made in the 1970's sported an extremely sharp 2nd space C.
Mark's post demonstrates how much they actually differed, so any generalization about "intonation characteristics of a Piggy" is likely an overreach.
bloke

Postby Michael Bush » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:46 am

The main difference between the two I've had with an intention to keep and play is the position of the valves. On this one, the main tuning slide is shorter and the leadpipe is longer, and the valve set is a little lower on the body.

The previous one (picked up in a trade generously hosted by bloke, complete with excellent BBQ) was ergonomically unworkable for me. No amount of shifting it around put my wrist at a viable angle.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Postby cambrook » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 pm

The first two I ever saw/heard were
- one belonging to a kid with the Australian Youth Orchestra (on tour, young man - my age - stayed at my parents' house). It was the first "really large bore" tuba that I ever played. This was probably in 1974.

I think that would have been Peter Sykes, he was later to join the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and I bought that piggy when Peter bought one of the first batch of Yorkbrunners. I played the piggy with the Sydney Symphony for about 3 months and won my job on that horn in 1983.

It had a lovely sound, intonation in the middle of the stave was a challenge. Times have changed - I don't think anyone would win a job playing all the excerpts on a piggy these days....
Last edited by cambrook on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cameron Brook
West Australian Symphony Orchestra
www.waso.com.au
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 pm

yes...It was Peter.
I sometimes hesitate to mention specific people here when they aren't part of the conversation...but I'm sure it's perfectly fine to mention him.

<EXTREME sidebar>
I'm also reminded that an outdoor party was thrown for the Australian Youth Orchestra, and the River City Six (a fabulous Memphis-based jazz band of the past) entertained. I sigh, because all of those wonderful friends/colleagues/gig-buddies (except for that band's drummer, who is still alive and doing well) have passed away...
...Here's a youtube video of the band's leader, Emil Orth (trombone), guest-appearing with another band at some jazz festival (probably c. 1978 or so). He was one of the last to pass away just a few years ago. A couple of years before he passed away, he was suffering from Alzheimer's but (just like Carl Fontana) he could still play his tail off. Before his health completely deteriorated, I would pick him up and take him (when we were both involved) to gigs. His wife would get him to play several tunes the night before he had a gig, and - the day of the gig - she would make certain that he was dressed and ready to go. ...He had about a 3-minute recent memory... not quite enough to last through a tune, so (occasionally, during his late-life Alzheimer's era) he would play two solos. :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMuYk00Obk

</EXTREME sidebar>
Last edited by bloke on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke

Postby cambrook » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:43 pm

BTW- that tour was in 1976, to celebrate the American Bicentennial - and Principal Trombone was Michael Mulcahy.
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:57 pm

cambrook wrote:BTW- that tour was in 1976, to celebrate the American Bicentennial - and Principal Trombone was Michael Mulcahy.

That makes perfect sense...and wow: MM...I really didn't meet very many of them, because (even though he and another young man were staying at our house) I was working in another jazz band at a brand-new-that-year theme park (long since shuttered) in Memphis called "Libertyland"...me: age 19

This probably won't fit on most computer screens:

weird factoid about the old wooden roller coaster (which was sold, and reassembled in Wisconsin)

bloke "We played on the porch of that building with four columns (near the entrance, near the Pippin roller coaster, and in 'Colonial Land'."
bloke

Postby russiantuba » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:42 pm

In the past decade, for several years, the tubist for the Columbus (OH) Symphony Orchestra used a Cerveny Piggy...no issue hearing him...
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer of Music--Low Brass
Ohio Northern University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
russiantuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Three Valves » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:57 pm

"Libertyland"

I like the sound of that!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby EdFirth » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Most of you know that the bore of those Piggys(dubbed that by John Fletcher at Walter Sear's shop and referred to by Walter and the Cerveny company as the Opera Model) is right around .835. It doesn't get much bigger than that. They were designed to be an orchestral sounding tuba for use in limited space. Paul K(Philly) was at Walter's place the day before I went down and he took six with him. I heard him play Finlandia on it and still think it was the best I ever heard from him sound wise. I'm pretty sure that if you handed one to Chester Schmitz or Arnold Jacobs before a concert they would sound like themselves. I think many of us have begun to listen with our eyes in this regard. In today's terminology they are a 5/4 in 3/4 clothing.FWIW, Ed
The Singing Whale
EdFirth
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Though .835" bore, I found that they were outfitted with the 681 model's .795" bore rotors (except with .835" bore knuckles brazed to the outsides of the .795" bore rotor casings).
bloke

Postby pjv » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:26 am

So what are the "quality combinations" that help to make the Piggy one of the winners in the tuba world?
Let's say the quality of the build/assembly is a given and that rage doesn't play a part in this.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Michael Bush » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:59 am

pjv wrote:So what are the "quality combinations" that help to make the Piggy one of the winners in the tuba world?
Let's say the quality of the build/assembly is a given and that rage doesn't play a part in this.

It's a big sounding tuba in a small package.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Next

Return to TubeNet