Question About Dads Sousaphone

The bulk of the musical talk
bazzelsup
bugler
bugler

Question About Dads Sousaphone

Post by bazzelsup »

This is a horn that my Dad Purchased during the depression. He was a teenager and delivered telegrams for Western Union in order to raise the money to purchase the horn. He said that in those days each fire house in Trenton, NJ would have it's own band but were short sousaphones so they would pay a few dollars for someone to march with them in local parades. He told me (maybe a tall tale) that he would ride his bike to the end of the parade, park the bike, walk to the beginning and march with one fire house band, ride his bike back to the beginning and march with another fire house, walk back to the beginning and ride his bike back home: all with this horn on his back. It wouldn't surprise me since it certainly sounds like something Dad would have done and I know they really needed the cash.

I have two questions:

1. The mouthpiece in this picture is not correct. It doesn't really fit and air leaks out. Does anyone know what mouthpiece would fit the horn or how I would determine it? It is an Eb horn.

2. Does anyone know anything about the horn, the manufacturer beyond the name etc. It is marked C Bruno and Son Inc NY Henry Pourcelle Sole Agent

I have many great memories of Dad playing the horn for fun. He was a serious Pianist and Violist but the Sousaphone was always a fixture in the house and he encouraged me to play tuba more seriously then he did.

Thanks!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Question About Dads Sousaphone

Post by bort »

I have no idea, but those are really cool stories, thanks for sharing. :)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

About Bruno from Horn-u-copia:

The Bruno Company was established in New York. Bruno
1806 Charles Bruno born in Germany
1832 Bruno emigrates to Macon, Georgia
1834 Bruno moves to New York City; one instrument has been found with "Since 1834" on the bell
1837 listed under books, 212 Fulton St.
1838-39 Martin & Bruno, 212 Fulton, with C.F. Martin
1940-48 not listed in NYC
1845 son Charles Jr. is born in December
1848 son Richard is born in March (lifelong lawyer)
1849 now at 92 E. 15th St., merchant
1850 Bruno & Cargill, musical inst, 62 Liberty St.
1851-53 Bruno & Cargill, 47 Maiden Lane, French & German instruments including brass
1854-57 Bruno, Weissenborn & Co., 2 Maiden Ln, Herman Weis.
1858-59 Charles Bruno, musical inst, 2 Maiden Ln
1860-63 Bruno & Morris, mi, 2 Maiden Ln, Richard Morris
1864-65 Charles Bruno, mi, 203 Broadway
1866-67 Ch. Bruno, 581 Broadway, agent for C.F. Martin
1868-81 C. Bruno & Son, 4 Cortlandt St, w/Charles, Jr.
1879 Charles F. Bruno is born to Richard
1882 C. Bruno & Son, 10 Cortlandt St.
1883-91 now at 54 Maiden Lane & 29 Liberty St.
1884 Charles Sr. dies in March
1886 catalog lists three grades of brass instruments; top is Henry Pourcelle, Paris; middle Perinet valve; low is Berliner valve; all probably European imports
1897 Charles F. Bruno, 356 Broadway, importer
1900-02 C. Bruno & Son, 356 Broadway
1912 Charles Jr. dies April 17th 1918-30 now at 351-53 4th Ave.
1920 Charles F. Bruno, sec-tres of musical instrument company
1941 now at 460 W. 34th St.
1971 sold to Kaman Music Corp. Bruno Instrument

Bruno Instrument Models
1. Henry Pourcelle, Paris, late 19th to early 20th cent.; this is not the actual maker but rather a trade name; early brass are marked "Henry Pourcelle Paris"; later ones are marked "C Bruno & Son Henry Pourcelle" which are probably all made by B&F
2. Lafayette, Paris
3. Perfacktone; B&F in Czechoslovakia, c.1920
4. Perfection; some US made, others B&F, early 1900s
5. LaVesta, Paris; c.1900
6. Vocotone
7. Special Grade; numerous examples, B&F, c.1900-1920
8. Royal Artist; B&F, c.1920s
9. C. Bruno & Sons Inc.; no model name, Austria, c.1900
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
bazzelsup
bugler
bugler

Post by bazzelsup »

Thanks so much for that information! Really great material. I am impressed that someone took so much time to answer!

Anyone have information about what I should do about the mouthpiece issue?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I can't make out much detail in the photo, but probably the first order of business is to satisfy yourself that you have the whole leadpipe and bits intact there. One thing that would account for the poor mouthpiece fit, is if you're putting the mouthpiece somewhere that wasn't intended to receive a mouthpiece.

After that, I suppose I would take the receiver bits to a decent musical instrument repair place. They can tell you what the receiver taper is, and what it would take to step it up to standard size. A standard shank would simplify mouthpiece acquisition, of course, but if you have a regular Morse taper of the regular "small" shank size, there are a handful of options in that size.