Buescher Eb identification

The bulk of the musical talk
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Buescher Eb identification

Post by Ken Crawford »

Anyone know anything about these old Eb's? I can't seem to find any other like it anywhere on the information super highway. Are they use-ably playable? There is one that was on ebay, it looks interesting. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Buescher Eb identification

Post by Ken Crawford »

bloke wrote:I will not comment on the intonation.
I think you just did. :)
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Buescher Eb identification

Post by humBell »

I would believe that is a Buescher Eb, albeit the telltale bow guard is just out of frame. I would mostly forgive previous owners from removing them just as i would in the case of Besson knobs, though my own preference is to keep them despite their tendency to dig into one's thigh. With the knobs in particular, i hope to come across a harness that uses them some day.

Not having played them with anyone, not even a tuner, i don't hear anything off intonation-wise, but that could easily be a comment on my ear.

I don't get the sense my tone glows when i tried it, the way i might with a York or Martin, but i do get the sense it tonally is exceptionally flexible and expressive, like my impressions of some Holtons. And i think i can justifiably be jealous, or more productively, inspired to practice and improve, by hearing some of my fellow tubenetters play them.

I have had the good fortune to get my hands on an Eb Buescher mouthpiece, and if i have to sound my best on that size shank, that is what i believe i would use.
Thanks for playing!