profiles

The bulk of the musical talk
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

profiles

Post by MikeMason »

i think it would add to the value of tubenet if more people gave a little more info. in their profile.of course we all get to know the frequent posters but it would still be helpful to know more about all posters. an opinion from a guy who has been a finalist at a real auditon would be treated a bit differently from a young student just figuring out what the pinky valve does... just a thought....
chevy68chv
bugler
bugler

Post by chevy68chv »

What does that pinky valve do, anyways? :D
Meinl Weston 2155
Miraphone 181
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

It's about community, not credentials! Like anything else on the 'net, you need to look at free info carefully... and if it's backed up and useful, why do you care WHERE it's from?

but yes, people DO fool around...

Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

chevy68chv wrote:What does that pinky valve do, anyways? :D
I really don't know. I only use the first one. It works well for all keys.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Mark

Re: profiles

Post by Mark »

MikeMason wrote:... just figuring out what the pinky valve does...
May be some of the female tubists have pink valves. And, I know sax and trumpet players like them brightly colored horns, but I prefer my valves to be silver or brass colored.
Charlie Goodman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Charlie Goodman »

Usually, I just slam the buttons up and down as I play and make potty noises with my lips into the round thing on the side of it.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Mark wrote: I prefer my valves to be silver or brass colored.
would that be lacquered, plated, or "raw" :roll:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

never mind...
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Mark wrote:
MikeMason wrote:... just figuring out what the pinky valve does...
May be some of the female tubists have pink valves. And, I know sax and trumpet players like them brightly colored horns, but I prefer my valves to be silver or brass colored.
Well, you know I have to confess. I had to get a mute for when I played Pictures (can't remember whether I needed the pinky valve or not) and it was a metal one. I was 'fraid I was going to bonk the bell a little too hard and either dent it or CLANG it putting the mute in...so I went and found some stick-on felt. Problem was it was in the shape of butterflies. So I stuck a bunch of them on the "bonk end" of the mute and then just because I'm female and have a sense of humor I stuck a few more of them on the mute itself. Couple people in the audience thought it was pretty funny. And some of them were pink...(the butterflies, not the people)
MA, who figures the violin auditions don't count on a tubenet
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

MikeMason wrote:i think it would add to the value of tubenet if more people gave a little more info. in their profile.
My profile? Somewhat pear-shaped...

Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

bloke wrote: :arrow: "The faster the notes, the fewer the valves." :roll:
Are you sure about that?

With my 2-1/2 valves I still have to work to keep up...
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

make potty noises with my lips into the round thing on the side of it.
Oh, person!! Go get some tuba lessons. You´re supposed to put your thumb in there :lol: .
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Mike, your thread got slaughtered, but I think you're right on the money. There are people on this board who have tons of experience and are able to weigh every comment purely on its merits. Others of us are hoping to get the advantage of the experience of those sage ones. But how does one know whether he's receiving sage wisdom from an experienced pro or toe-jam from a punk kid that doesn't know which end of the horn to blow into?
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

MikeMason wrote:never mind...
Okay, let's review:

But first, definitions are important: Amateur is one who plays tuba for the love of it. A professional is one who has "professed" to the world that he or she is available to be paid for playing tuba. Thus, the word "professional" means nothing without also defining the gig.

Chuck G. is an expert on just about everything, plays tuba very well as an amateur, repairs and reconstructs tubas very well as an amateur, and can research the Internet better than anyone here. I've met him once, but I gleaned all that by reading his posts.

Bloke is a pro repair guy who (for now) owns his own music store, a regular sub in a major symphony, plays plenty of pro gigs, and has a strong dose of Cherokee blood. His sense of humor is strongly informed by his teenage son (or seems to be), and he believes that people ought to make their own way in the world without coddling from others. I've met him on several occasions, but I gleaned all that from his posts.

Joe Baker is one of the wisest people on the forum, gives advice about life second to none, and lives what he believes. I've never met him, but if he's faking all that in his posts, then he's working waaaay too hard to impress a bunch of tuba players.

Mary Ann is a former pro violinist with an orchestra gig, plays horn to a pro level, and has taken up the tuba for fun, and to hang around a better class of people. She chucked pro music in favor of engineering, so that she could approach music as an amateur instead of as a pro. Her avatar is not a picture of her (and that's true for Bloke, Joe, and Chuck, too). I've never met her in person, but all this is apparent from her posts. I don't know her last name, but I'll bet I know about her than many people who do.

I am an engineer with a strong science background who spends too much time at work posting on Tubenet, who plays for fun and who has played well enough to be at the margins of the professional world on occasion (usually in support of better players), but not well enough to be really good. The Holton in my avatar really is mine. All that is, I think, apparent from what I've posted.

We even know who KarlMarx is.

My point with this small sample is that the active posters are who they appear to be. The more active they are, the more samples of what they have to say that we see. After a while, when we've had a chance to test what they've said with our own experience, we begin to form an opinion of what they have to say. We use that to filter their further sayings. That's the thing I like best about the new forum versus the old: It's not so easy for posters to change the identities every post, and even if their name is an alias, we are able to assess what the say in the context of what they have said.

Occasionally, a top pro will bestow wisdom on us, using a name we all know, and we judge what we hear based on that reputation. But in most cases, we based what we hear on our experience with that poster. That's as it should be.

Rick "who thinks that if you listen to people talk long enough, you begin to find out who they are in ways more effective than credentials" Denney
Captain Sousie
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Captain Sousie »

Yes, yes it is.
I am not Mr. Holland, and you are not my opus!
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Well,

I don't know about the rest of these guys, but as for my credentials, I am the best music teacher in the world. I was
given the award by one of my second grade students just yesterday. She made it herself.

-Tabor
Tubas
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Tabor wrote:Well,

I don't know about the rest of these guys, but as for my credentials, I am the best music teacher in the world. I was
given the award by one of my second grade students just yesterday. She made it herself.

-Tabor
And they say you'll never get rich teaching music. What greater reward could there be?
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Sometimes the profile serves as a lightning rod though, and not every professional tubaist feels like being called out by every dilettante or jr. high kid.

Relative anonymity can be a blessing.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

UncleBeer wrote:Sometimes the profile serves as a lightning rod though, and not every professional tubaist feels like being called out by every dilettante or jr. high kid.

Relative anonymity can be a blessing.
Yes, and so is the ability to not say anthing to get them going. Having no opinon on anything is considered a very advanced spiritual state in some schools of thought.

MA
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

MaryAnn wrote: Having no opinon on anything is considered a very advanced spiritual state in some schools of thought.
Yes, I agree completely. That is exactly what I believe to be true at any given time.

[/irony]
:wink: