Conn "New Invention BBb Bass" Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Conn "New Invention BBb Bass"

Postby tuben » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:52 am

I have a friend who recently came into possession of one of these tubas, dated to 1913. The horn is in incredible condition for the age, and it is the finest 4/4 BBb piston tuba I've ever played. Prototypical "American" bass sound, with tons of color that is very malleable.

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnNewInvBBb-bassimage.html
18931_370_525.jpg
18931_370_525.jpg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 993 times

Jonathan (Wessex): In the realm of incredible tubas that no longer exist but really should, this is one to consider.
tuben
Professional tuba player / Volunteer Village Idiot
Professional tuba player / Volunteer Village Idiot

Re: Conn "New Invention BBb Bass"

Postby KiltieTuba » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:45 pm

What, no photos??
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby jbaylies » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:05 pm

I recently bought a top-action Monster from Frank Ortega. It's currently at Aaron Beck's brass repair shop getting its valves replated, leadpipe rolled out, and bottom bow braces cleaned up. I'll report back with photos when it's ready! I'm hoping the work will be done in a couple more weeks. Here's a photo from when Frank owned it: http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff29 ... p5td8z.jpg I think it'll be a great compliment to my Conn 40k. If it's as good as I'm hoping it'll be, I'll probably sell my 5-valve Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC.
jbaylies
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Wyvern » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:21 pm

tuben wrote:Jonathan (Wessex): In the realm of incredible tubas that no longer exist but really should, this is one to consider.

I will keep a look out for one to borrow
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby bloke » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Looks very much as if the BBb version of the so-called "Donatelli" CC tuba.

note:
- parallel upper slide crooks
- various bell diameters offered
- BBb mouthpipe slide easily eliminated for closer-to-CC length

This is the only picture of a genuine one that I could easily find on the web...
' many pictures of misrepresented cut-downs found...
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby TUbajohn20J » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:05 am

Got to love old Conn's. Those old designers and craftsmen really knew what they were doing. I've never seen this model in person but I've played various other ones and they never disappoint. I'll take one in "finish 1" with the triple silver plated sand blasted finish with 4 top action valves and a 21" bell for $157.50.
Conn 10J
Conn 26J
Conn 40K
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TheGoyWonder » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:46 pm

The top action "Monster" healthy-4/4 size BBb Conns with large bell flare has some serious style.
For a replica, just get the tuning slide out of the leadpipe and have a manipulative 1st valve slide much like 3rd on a King 2280. Set the leadpipe at a bit of an angle and don't put the valves too high, and top action is ergonomically fine.

Another cool-looking Conn model that could make a nice basis for replicas is the "Professional" medium Eb in front action. It's pretty similar to the 4J or 5J in outer body size and bell shape depending on year, but Eb guts. It would be sized under the typical compensator size in bore/early branch and bell throat, but just about like it in outer branch size.
TheGoyWonder
3 valves
3 valves

Return to TubeNet