24AW alternatives?

The bulk of the musical talk
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: 24AW alternatives?

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:Admittedly, I know about as much about this line of mouthpieces as I know about Mongolian cuisine (~0~), but doesn't this one seem to hint towards the same deep/narrow cup - SANS the (eyebrow-bending) 24AW ("Walmart-wide") rim and sans the 24AW ("Walmart-wide") throat?

http://www.perantucci.com/pt83_en.html
The + models of these seem to take care of the mass issue....
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

Anything Warren Deck has influenced the design of seems to have 24AW-type DNA.

I've got a Wick/Tindall 2 and that is very similar to the Monette Mendoker C. Both these mouthpieces have links back to Mr Deck.
Stork make their version of the 24 which is also expensive like a Monette.
All of these have a wider opening (c.32.8mm) than the Bach 24AW which has a somewhat narrow opening.
Peach
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

GC wrote:I guess the most common variant modeled on the 24AW would be the venerable Wick 3, which has a small shank model, a large shank model (3L), a shallow cup model (3SL), a model designed for longer term comfort (3XL), and a new Helleburg cup model (3CC).
Signs lead to the 3L

Classic or Heritage??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

Three Valves wrote: Signs lead to the 3L

Classic or Heritage??
I'd vote for the Classic!
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

If you don't mind paying a bit more, may I suggest the Stofer Geib. It'll be just a tiny tad wider and a tiny tad shallower than a 24AW. But I believe the throat and backbore will be fairly close. I prefer it to the Wick 3, but that's just me. Lee Stofer's Geib is a very accurate copy of Fred Geib's Conn mouthpiece.

If nothing else is quite right, consider contacting Bloke for a three-piece simile.
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

barry grrr-ero wrote:If you don't mind paying a bit more, may I suggest the Stofer Geib. It'll be just a tiny tad wider and a tiny tad shallower than a 24AW. But I believe the throat and backbore will be fairly close. I prefer it to the Wick 3, but that's just me. Lee Stofer's Geib is a very accurate copy of Fred Geib's Conn mouthpiece.

If nothing else is quite right, consider contacting Bloke for a three-piece simile.
Sorry to disagree, having owned both of these I'd say they are poles apart. Both on the deep side but that's the only similarity I can ascribe both...
Peach
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

In case it helps, here's what we have for official measurements:
Lee Stofer wrote:Here's some measurements for you on the Stofer-Geib mouthpiece. I've measured as close as I reasonably can, and remember that this mouthpiece is not metric, but American-sized. I measure the rim width as 7 mm, inside diameter 33mm, inside cup depth 34mm, and throat diameter at 8mm. The rim is relatively narrow and rounded, like the old Helleberg of the same time period as when the Geib mouthpiece was first made. The inner edge is defined, but not as sharp as newer Hellebergs.
The official cup diameter and throat diameter for the 24AW are 31.25 and 8.84mm, respectively.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

OK, so they're different. My bad. I really like the Stofer Geib and feel that it's a better 'all around' m.p. - for me - than either a 24AW or the Wick 3. Sorry if my post was inappropriate.
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

The Vererable 24AW

Post by Robert Tucci »

Ladies and Gentlemen!

My daily observation of the Tube Net and general curiosity in regard to mouthpiece-related subjects brought up the PT-24 / PT-24AW. This is not a true Perantucci, now Robert Tucci for USA, mouthpiece. I worked this out at the request of various dealers and made the base model available as a standard shell or heavy-shell model. The standard shell is available with the larger "German" or smaller "American" shank. The 24AW and it's bigger brother, the 18, are standard-equipment with a large number of student instruments. Most of these have medium or medium-large valve bores, the reason the PT version has a rather large thoat: to make greater breadth of sound and more bass character. As noted by contributors, there are some interesting variations of the 24AW available.

For the player and instrument in question: to remain in the 24AW-related comfort zone, the PT-84 would be a good mouthpiece and in order to get some really solid sound, the RT-44, RT-48, RT-50 or event he RT-88. The latter is for well-developed players.

At the time I would like to mention again that we no longer supply the former U.S. distributor with PT mouthpieces. As such, right-and-proper ones can be ordered at perantucci.com. The new RT line and dealers stocking this can be viewed at robert-tucci.com. Feel free to contact me in any and all tuba and mouthpiece-related matters.

Bob Tucci
Munich
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Here is a list of many tuba mouthpieces with at least some of their specifications. It is a good place to start to make comparisons between mouthpieces. It seems to me that the 24 AW is rather unique in that it has a deep cup with relatively narrow inner diameter of 1.23" (31.25 mm) but a very wide throat 0.348" (8.84 mm).

If you look at this list, you will find a few mouthpieces that have similar specs, many of which seem to be specifically based on the 24AW.

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/tuba.cfm" target="_blank
Andy
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

In my little collection of about 50 MPs lie several old vintage 24AW Mps. All other issues aside, I find the rounded rim is the most significant feature that sets it apart from other pretty normal mps. (I also have and have used a King 26 and a Conn Chief - all with wide rounded rims) I've read here on TN various opinions on the value of such a rim, but for myself it offered a remedial benefit earlier in my 50 years careern. By being somewhat rounded and large, that rim sat more comfortably up on my lips without eventually sinking down to my teeth. Cartainly this helps avoid fatigue, but it also helps to teach the player to not press the rim down to the teeth under pressure. For me this resulted in a more relaxed approach to the embouchure; one whereby I simply needed to make pitch differences by controlling the lip tension, which incidentally was much easier without the mp rim sunk down into the musculature of the embouchure. Do I used it today? No,I do not. Occasionally I will take it out and play on it to remind me that lack of mp pressure aids in flexibility. There ya go. I'm not sure if this makes any sense. (but messing with MPs can teach us things that are hard to put into works. Sometimes we just need to experiment.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)