Play it...

...on the F tuba.
40%
...on the cimbasso.
60%

Total votes : 15

POLL: Slide Hampton "Round Midnight" trombone quartet

Postby bloke » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Our orchestra's low brass section is scheduled (on the orchestra's chamber music series) to perform a recital just after the end of the season (in May).

We're playing the piece mentioned in the title.

Should I play it on my F tuba (a far superior instrument, which is much easier to play) or on my Jinbao cimbasso ?

Here's the original: :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq-OJT9GtO0
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: POLL: Slide Hampton "Round Midnight" trombone quartet

Postby Ken Herrick » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:18 pm

G bass trombone.
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Ken Herrick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 am

Just go make good music.
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Z-Tuba Dude » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:37 am

Theoretically, I would say cimbasso. This arrangement seems to cry out for homogeneous voices, in many spots.

Having said that, if the cimbasso is at all problematic, it might just be smarter to play it on tuba.

Why not bring BOTH to the first rehearsal, and see for yourself?
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:05 am

Z-Tuba Dude wrote:Theoretically, I would say cimbasso. This arrangement seems to cry out for homogeneous voices, in many spots.

Having said that, if the cimbasso is at all problematic, it might just be smarter to play it on tuba.

Why not bring BOTH to the first rehearsal, and see for yourself?

That's the obvious thing to do... (We've managed to have two rehearsals so far - each lasting about 1-1/2 hrs. The four of us are physically spread out over a six-hour driving-time geographic span.)
I would/will need to spend a good bit of time playing it on cimbasso just to be able to play it as well as on tuba...
...and otherwise (my association with the Ole Miss faculty) I have a big quintet recital coming up, a huge home repair project (requiring a bloke 1000 mi. r/t to gather custom materials), the winter "dead season" for freelance gigs has passed (back doing a lot of driving-for-dollars, again), some family members with acute needs, etc.-etc... ("life" restricting "what, ideally, could be done")

fwiw...They've also (as I haven't offered much input, not knowing much about trombone quartet literature) the Tomasi "Être, ou ne pas être"...so I'm sort of "featured" on c. 1-1/2 out of roughly ten pieces programmed. well...Come to thing of it, I did insert myself into the rep. more than I was just thinking: We're playing my 1970's arrangement (tuba/euphonium) of Contrapunctus IX, and (I just scribbled it out before yesterday's rehearsal) an "audience participation" (considering the typical audience age-range for concerts such as these) version of the Chicago tune, "Color My World"
:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWkXmx-0phc
- 1st stanza: trombones playing the piano arpeggios with tuba playing the bass notes
- 2nd stanza: bloke leads the audience in singing the song
- 3rd stanza: the principal flute of the orchestra surprises everyone by standing up in the back of hall and finishing the tune with the everyone-knows-it flute solo.
(This will close the first half, so that - hopefully - folks have smiles on their faces during the intermission.) :wink:

Thanks for the input and poll responses.
bloke

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks for the input.

I agree with the majority.

Cimbasso it is... ' can make it sound very much like the original recording with cimbasso.
bloke

Return to TubeNet