Moving Back to Bb (Woofy?)

The bulk of the musical talk
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Moving Back to Bb (Woofy?)

Post by Voisi1ev »

So I've been playing primarily on my 52J since about 2002. I'm going to start playing in a Brass Band in a bit and have been getting some work done on a 2341w as it seems a bit silly to play a C in a brass band.

I feel like I get a real woofy sound on the 2341. I've tried other MPs and played a bit on a Bb 186 and got the same feeling.

Not to start a big thing on Bb v C, but is that pretty normal when moving back and forth? The perception that the Bb horn is a bit woofy/unclear?

I know there are 5000 other possibilities, but was curious what thoughts some of you people. And by "you people" I mean tuba players.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Re: Moving Back to Bb (Woofy?)

Post by Voisi1ev »

Thanks. If I end up going all in I'll need to take a look at one.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Why would it be "silly" to play a C tuba in a brass band? Playing music written in Bb on a C tuba takes a trick but talk to a horn player about playing music not in the same key as the instrument. If the sound is there.……
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I found that using a shallower mouthpiece helped to minimize 'woofy'-ness on big BBb tubas. In my student days, I always used a Miraphone C3 or C4. FYI.
JCalkin
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCalkin »

The Big Ben wrote:Why would it be "silly" to play a C tuba in a brass band? Playing music written in Bb on a C tuba takes a trick but talk to a horn player about playing music not in the same key as the instrument. If the sound is there.……
At NABBA I noticed quite a few CC tubas (and a few F tubas also) in the competing bands. Perhaps were the judges not behind a screen this might be more of an issue, but maybe not.

Our band had two eefers and two CCs and we did fine. That said, I'm new to brass banding and I'm starting to consider shopping around for a 3+1 BBb in order to be more "authentic." I don't know that it's strictly necessary but the hunt for a new axe is part of the fun, yes?

And actually I discovered that if you routinely play CC and F tuba, playing BBb bass parts on a CC isn't too bad if you pretend you're holding your F tuba and use those fingerings (minus some wonkiness regarding accidentals).
Josh Calkin
Wayne State College
Low Brass/Bands
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

Another good choice for a 3+1 Comp would be a Yamaha YBB-631. Great horn, and wonderful intonation!!
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
Tubanomicon
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tubanomicon »

There's nothing wrong with playing C in brass band. I regularly play with another tuba player who alternates between her BBb and CC in ensemble depending on how she's feeling, the nature of the venue, etc. Don't let anyone tell you playing such-and-such a horn in such-and-such an ensemble is "silly". (Don't forget: Arnold Jacobs preferred his CC York for most everything even though he owned more than a dozen tubas at one time. He often chose a shallower mouthpiece depending on what he was playing.)
“Very little strength can produce much motion of air. Learn about air as motion.”

--Arnold Jacobs
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

Both the BBb guys in my band play CCs.

That being said I never considered the 2341 to be woofy. (one or two piece bell?) It does have a bigger bell than the 52J (I think, right?) and that is probably the difference you are hearing or feeling. But it still is a pretty small bore horn. Once you get in the band and play the horn in a larger room, I think you would realize it is not woofy. Perhaps not as pointed as your 52J, I would agree. Try it as some rehearsals and see what you think once you are playing in the band. See what the director and the other tubas players think. The BBb voice is the deepest in the brass band so it is good to have some breadth to the tone, from at least one of the BBbs. Sometimes perception and feel are different than the actual sound that is heard away from the horn.

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

In the brass band I play in, we have two BBb players on CC tubas, and two Eb players---one on Eb and one on F. There's nothing wrong with playing CC, especially if your CC is better than your BBb.
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

By silly I should say "I'm being lazy and it makes my head hurt." I've read through the parts a lot faster just pretending I'm playing a big trumpet.

The more I get accustomed I do like the 2341w sound.

If I don't like the fit I can always pull my 52J out and do the work.

I played in a brass band in college on my horn. We were lazy and put everything into finale and printed it out in bass clef. They used Fs for the Eb parts since that was all we had.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Voisi1ev wrote: I feel like I get a real woofy sound on the 2341. I've tried other MPs and played a bit on a Bb 186 and got the same feeling.
However things might be with a 2341, if a 186 BBb feels woofy, this seems like a case where feelings are not very trustworthy (as usual, in my opinion, contra Yoda). Maybe try a friend or a recording device fifty feet away?
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Kings have had 16'(C rotary, with the same tenon as the 1241/2341), 19'(later 2341), 20' , I had an original detachable C with tuning in the leadpipe as well as a master tuner with trombone stockings from the Goldman Band, and 22', on the older 1241's and the .750 bore one piece bell horns at West Point. Lee Richardsen also told me that guys used to put Meinl Weston bells on them before the 19' went into production. Those detachable bell ones were very versatile as well as being consistently good horns. The different bell diameters make quite a difference in the sound. I currently own a "new style" as well as a detachable bell King and have observed that the taller ones project a lot better while both have a classic "American tuba" sound. I think you're in a good place with a King.Happy brassbanding to you. Ed PS, for what it's worth, I use a PT50+ on both of my piston Kings as well as my Monster Rotary.
The Singing Whale