Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Compensating Euphonium (3+1)

The bulk of the musical talk
LarryPrestonRoberson
lurker
lurker

Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Compensating Euphonium (3+1)

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

Greetings,

First of all, I apologize if I have posted this to the wrong forum. I'm new, at least in terms of being an active member. Anyway...

I know many of the members play/have played the Boosey & Hawkes Imperial/Besson New Standard euphoniums. I have the opportunity to buy a used one. Here is what I know, or at least what the seller has told me:

It is 1956 Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Compensating Euphonium. It's in good condition, silver plated, 3+1 valve configuration, compensating. The tuning slides have been modded/extended so that it plays at modern pitch (professionally done before he purchased it) minimal dents, slight plating wear at the contact points. Other than one replacement (gold-plated) valve cap, the euph is complete with its original parts. Very good compression, smooth & fast piston valves despite a slight bit of surface pitting. Euro-shank receiver.

I'm curious about the availability of replacement parts (OEM or 3rd party) should the occasion arise for repairs. For that matter, the compatibility with the parts from later builds/models. Also is the retrofitting to modern tuning, like this one, usually successful/reliable? What is a reasonable price to pay for an instrument of this vintage/condition? Feel free to provide additional information or opinions on the B & H Imperial. See pictures:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7h53 ... 1BZMElwNnc

Background on my experience with various euphoniums:
I currently own a Yamaha YEP-321 (Holton Stencil) retrofitted with a large shank receiver (YEP-621). I was allowed to use my band director's personal Willson 2704 non-comp in high school (teacher's pet). I played a YEP 641-in college. I've test played a few other brands/models over the years: Besson Sovereign, Miraphone, Jupiter, etc.

Thank you in advance for any information and guidance.

Sincerely,
Larry Roberson
MSchott
bugler
bugler

Re: Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Compensating Euphonium (3+1)

Post by MSchott »

You may want to ask this on David Werden's website. There's a lot of Besson/Boosey euphonium expertise there.
oldbandnerd
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Compensating Euphonium (3+1)

Post by oldbandnerd »

I recommend you contact Tubenet member Highams. He's a British euphonium player,teacher and does horn refurbish and cleaning. He has extensive knowledge of what parts are available and how to get them for the B&H Imperial.
I have personally bought 3 different Imperials. All in very good shape . I payed $1,800 or less for each. I think that's about the price range you should consider. My last purchased and the one I currently play is circa 1984 .