Denis Wick mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Denis Wick mouthpieces

Post by Tubaguyry »

As someone who lives in the relative backwoods of the country (Missouri,) I was hoping some of you folks who are more "in the know" than I might be able to answer a question.

Do you know of anyone in the U.S. who stocks (STOCKS, not ORDERS) Denis Wick tuba mouthpieces? I guess I had picked up from conversations here over the years that Dillon Music would have them. I placed an order on their website, but received an email the next day saying that it would be either 1-3 weeks (if Wick overseas has them in stock) or 1-3 MONTHS (if Wick does not have them in stock.) There was no indication on the website when I placed the order that this mouthpiece would be backordered, so it took me by surprise to receive that email. So I'm wondering if there's anyone here who DOES keep them in stock, and doesn't have to backorder them. The specific mouthpiece I'm looking for is the all-silver (no gold accents) 5L (Heritage series, of course.)

Or, do I have it wrong and every other Wick tuba mouthpiece type in stock here in the U.S. by the dozens, and I just happened to pick the ONE that is out of stock? (Which would definitely exemplify my usual luck!)

Thanks for any insight/help you can give! :)
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

Big Mouth Brass J-445LQ F
JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb
1964 Olds O-97 BBb sousaphone

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Denis Wick mouthpieces

Post by thevillagetuba »

You can check to see if Baltimore Brass has one in stock as I believe I have seen them carrying some of those before.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
soyezu
bugler
bugler

Post by soyezu »

Ebay always seems to have a steady supply of Wick mouthpieces from various vendors available. You might want to give it a quick look.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=wick+tuba
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Not all sellers stock the items that they auction off on eBay. You should look for positive expressions that shipping will happen immediately after your payment has arrived (or has cleared).

Of the above suggestions I find the best one is the one about the MouthpieceExpress.

Klaus
Ferguson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ferguson »

Milano Music in AZ has the Wick tuba mouthpieces in stock. http://milanomusic.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank Ask for Chuck. He plays tuba.

-F
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

It may be that the 5L is not commonly kept in stock since it's such a small mp for tuba.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguyry »

Thanks for all the input, folks!
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

Try Hickey's Music

http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tuba ... pieces.php" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Post by mwlorrison893 »

I ordered one off of Amazon over a month ago from mouthpiecexpress and i waited and waited and waited only to find out that it was going to be months before getting it in stock... I cancelled my order.
Norlan Bewley
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Norlan Bewley »

Try DF Music in Chicago. You can give them a call and see if they have what you want in stock.

http://dfmusicinc.com/" target="_blank 630-267-9828
Norlan Bewley
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I am surprised Dillon Music doesn't have it in stock. I got my SM6 Ultra for my Wessex BR115 from there.

If you need it immediately:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Denis-W ... SwTglYm01a" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
MSchott
bugler
bugler

Post by MSchott »

Norlan Bewley wrote:Try DF Music in Chicago. You can give them a call and see if they have what you want in stock.

http://dfmusicinc.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank 630-267-9828
Agree. They carry a lot of stock. I was able to buy an SM4MX (medium shank euph mouthpiece) at NABBA a few years ago. Not at all a common shank.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

GC wrote:It may be that the 5L is not commonly kept in stock since it's such a small mp for tuba.
I hope not! As there are relatively few mouthpieces in that size, and it's a good mouthpiece, it ought to be in a better market position than something like their 2L that has a lot of competition and nothing in particular to recommend it.
Tubaguyry wrote:(Heritage series, of course.)
I imagine that's the more common option at this point, but if you find that you can get the Classic where the Heritage is out of stock, I'd do it. Unless they changed the throat or something, the difference is cosmetic, and the Classic comes off better on that.
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguyry »

Donn wrote:
GC wrote:It may be that the 5L is not commonly kept in stock since it's such a small mp for tuba.
I hope not! As there are relatively few mouthpieces in that size, and it's a good mouthpiece, it ought to be in a better market position than something like their 2L that has a lot of competition and nothing in particular to recommend it.
Tubaguyry wrote:(Heritage series, of course.)
I imagine that's the more common option at this point, but if you find that you can get the Classic where the Heritage is out of stock, I'd do it. Unless they changed the throat or something, the difference is cosmetic, and the Classic comes off better on that.
I don't like thick rims such as are on the Wick Classics. As a matter of fact, if I had my own machine shop, I'd find a way to make something like the 5L (or similar) but with no extra thickness anywhere. I'd make it so that the entire thing was no more than about 2mm thick on any part of it. Basically a thin shell that followed the contours of all internal surfaces. Less mass = less vibration needed to make a sound. I've never played anything like that, so I don't know if it would actually sound any good or not. But I'd love to find out if my assumptions are correct! I just know that I have found thin-rimmed and/or thinner-walled mouthpieces (Conn Helleberg, Wick Heritage, etc.) to perform and sound better for me than heavy/thick mouthpieces (like the old G&Ws or Monettes.)

Then again, maybe it would sound like crap! I dunno! :P

In any case, thanks to everyone who has responded in this thread. :)
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb

Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

DF Music has a new owner and has a Chicago location, just north of downtown, where you can actually try out DW mouthpieces they are very well stocked. This is by appointment. I was there yesterday. Richard and his wife, both pro trumpet players, were Most gracious and helpful.the also are the distributors for Vandoren reeds, and John Packer horns.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I understand you are looking for the silver version but I have a like-new 4886-5L (gold) that I'll send you (or anyone else for that matter) for $80 plus postage.

(sorry... I know this isn't the for sale section. Just trying to answer a question).
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I have a 5L in gold that I don't want.
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguyry »

Dan Schultz wrote:I understand you are looking for the silver version but I have a like-new 4886-5L (gold) that I'll send you (or anyone else for that matter) for $80 plus postage.

(sorry... I know this isn't the for sale section. Just trying to answer a question).

Dan, is the 4886 the original style or the Heritage? I'm only looking for the Heritage series. If that's a Heritage, I'm definitely interested! :)
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb

Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguyry »

MaryAnn wrote:I have a 5L in gold that I don't want.
MaryAnn, is that the old style with the thick rim or the Heritage series? Thanks!
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb

MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I don't know. I'd say it has a thick rim, but I'd have to see pictures of both to tell you for sure. It is somewhat tarnished so may be older. I don't remember where I got it.