Out of tune? . . . Or out of luck?

Post by hup_d_dup »

Do you really need Facebook?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Out of tune? . . . Or out of luck?

Post by Three Valves »

The lawsuit alleges that Beckley told Wetherill that’s the way orchestras operate in Europe, where Urbanski, a Polish native, is used to working.
I stand with the Polish guy!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I've been accused of being too loud by a music director before, but fortunately was in the middle of a 24 bar rest... :shock:

(old Toscannini story)
"Nuts to you Meistro!
"It'sa too late to appologize!!"
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Post by Dubby »

"In October 2015, Wetherill was suspended for two weeks without pay for using an electronic tuner at rehearsal"

Is this normal for professional orchestras?
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Well, I've probably stated my opinions on tuner-users before; it's great for setting your slides, it's great for finding A440 or whatever before you start....but should not be on the stand unless the entire orchestra is for some reason using "tuner intonation." However....I can fully understand the bassoonist's use of it in this particular circumstance, although it may have worked against him in the long run. I'm glad I'm not a pro (any more, and it was a long time ago.) I think it just gets harder and harder.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Dubby wrote:"In October 2015, Wetherill was suspended for two weeks without pay for using an electronic tuner at rehearsal"

Is this normal for professional orchestras?

Not in Master Agreements I've played under.
Besides, it might have been out there, it may have been set to Just intonation and even adjusted sharp for the orchestra, but how would they know he was USING it!?
Sound like someone else didn't like their opinion being questioned, if you ask me...
(But it's easy enough to check the archive recordings :shock: )
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

A plaintiff's complaint tells one side of the story as dramatically as possible. So obviously there is more to it than this. But if even a little of it is true... :shock:
TubaKen
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaKen »

...the bassoonist was faking playing and was STILL told he was "out-of-tune"...
With brass players, it's almost always "you're too loud!", and I know of several occasions where a player pretended to play, and was told by the conductor "that's perfect!" :D
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

Urbanski has been in Norway too.
His wife might sit on one of the front rows taking notes on whatever everyone were doing.
Every container of liquid brought had to be transparent, water only, if brought at all (exceptions for the oboe, bassoon etc.)

So...this friend of mine were depping on trumpet. Didn't know then, and first humongous many bars rest he picked up his GREEN laptop and RED coffee mug and started working on arrangements.

Didn't go down very well.
Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

bloke wrote:\
<snip>

A few months later, I played Zarathustra with that orchestra. If you're familiar with the very last section of the piece, you know of the very slow deliberate bassoon solo (a theme covered earlier and must more boisterously by other instruments - including the tuba) where every note in the descending line is harmonized with a different chord in the strings. Yep, he got off by one chord...and never got back; Every time the chords would change, he would also change. It was all a very nicely-played disaster. :(
I absolutely totally do not get how a -musician- would not know he was off in that way. I am old enough that I mis-count measures at times, and *always* the way I find myself again is by what is going on around me. How could someone in even a quasi-pro orchestra make that mistake?
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Word is that the suit is legit.
Intonation had nothing to do with the firing. :shock:
FWIW.