CC 5/4 Rotary Valve Tuba ‘Anton’ – TC491

The bulk of the musical talk
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

CC 5/4 Rotary Valve Tuba ‘Anton’ – TC491

Post by RoosterTuba »

Has anyone tried out this horn?

I have a Cerveny Piggy right now and really enjoy it, but would enjoy upgrading to a 5/4 horn, and this sparked my interest. Can anyone give me insight on it? ESPECIALLY if you have tried it versus a nice Cerveny Piggy? Thanks. :tuba:
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Re: CC 5/4 Rotary Valve Tuba ‘Anton’ – TC491

Post by tubapix »

On the day I visited Andy at the Ferrysburg, Mi. location, I tried out 5 different Wessex horns - Wyvern, Luzern, Michigan, Wisconsin & Berg. (The Luzern is the BBb version of the Anton). Of those horns the clear winner's were the TC590 Wyvern-CC and the Berg-F. Having played BBb (rotary)/Eb(piston) (see my signature) for many years that was pretty surprising to me. Just my opinion FWIW. I highly recommend a visit to try it out yourself though.
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Up to now, only the prototype Anton has been exhibited and played by TubeNeters. So far only I have played the production Anton, as the very first couple of production examples were quality checked by myself at the factory last week.

Wessex has made a few changes to the production Anton including fitting the same 18" bell as the Luzern (prototype had smaller bell) and my first impression is the production tuba is considerably better (it got a "wow, this is nice" when I tried). Sufficiently better that I brought one back with me on flight to use and road-test myself. So far I am well satisfied. It got good comments from my band director at rehearsal yesterday and he is very critical being Director of the Royal Marines School of Music.

I think it will make nice rotary valve companion to the piston valve Wyvern. They are tubas of similar size, but actually share no parts.

The first production Anton will be at Wessex Ferrysberg store late-May and available to play test.
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Cthuba »

I can not speak for any recent modified versions of this horn, but I can say that the one I played at the army conference did not reach my expectations personally. There was something that felt off with the horn and with pitches slotting. The linkages were not great either. People have been comparing this to the hirsbrunner rotor c and the miraphone 291. This horn that I played at the conference is not their equal, nor comparable.

On that same day however...

The Luzern had the best linkages I have felt from a Chinese horn. Did not feel at all cheap and I felt secure slamming the valves on it. I do remember one valve clanking which Jonathon addressed immediately. I enjoyed playing this horn.

The Wyvern was very good as well. The slotting is excellent and the feel of the horn is great as well.

The Anton compared to the previous two at that conference felt lesser. Perhaps recent mods have changed the playability of the instrument. I would suggest you try it for yourself.

I did play a rotor hirsbrunner that lee had and a 291 at the miraphone booth.... Almost tempted selling my Rudy 3/4... Not really ;) both were great though!
Gnagey 4/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

The production Anton has Wessex Z valves like the latest Luzern. These are far better than standard valves as on Prototype. Together with linkage improvements they make the rotary valves quiet, smooth and reliable.

All Wessex large tubas and cimbasso are now being made with Z valves.

The Z valve is a self contained rotary unit which just slots into the tuba body. It allows for easy removal for maintenance and manufacturing to closer tolerances for reliable action.

It is called the Z valve because it is designed by Mr. Zhang, who is the most talented brass builder in China. He is European trained and a fine brass player himself. Mr.Zhang is also now Wessex Tubas chief instrument developer.