Gig Bag for 2XJ?

The bulk of the musical talk
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Gig Bag for 2XJ?

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Just curious, has anyone experimented with a gig bag for a Conn 2XJ with upright bell (without taking the tuba apart)? Is there even a maker that makes them that big and for such a large diameter bell? (24").. I believe I saw Altieri makes a bag for an XL tuba recording or upright but I'm not sure a 2XJ would fit it. Just looking for options. I'm between finding a gig bag for mine or a new 2 piece hard case which are super expensive. (Or a two piece bag?)

Just curious what others have done, or whatever makeshift contraption you use to transport your 2XJ in?
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Gig Bag for 2XJ?

Post by Dan Tuba »

I called Altieri and they made a one piece bag that fits my Conn 25J. The bag is very nice and works very well.
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

Altieri can make a one-piece bag for the upright-bell configuration, or for the recording-bell configuration. They have also made two-bag set-ups for large Conns and Martins. I prefer the one-bag configuration, which can be worn on your back. The two hard cases are really not that expensive if you consider the protection they offer, particularly if you travel with the instrument.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Edit: I may try the Messina bags. After doing more research it is much closer to a Cronkhite design and material, a side loader, AND custom fit to each tuba.
Last edited by TUbajohn20J on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid