Are chinese screws pot metal?

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Are chinese screws pot metal?

Post by Dan Schultz »

58mark wrote:here's an honest question. Is it better to have a "break away" valve section than one that bends and warps? in a major accident, I would rather drill out a screw than try to have a bunch of tubing straightened
Do you REALLY think the manufacturer gave that much thought to it?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I wouldn't want the screws in my stuff to be made of a stronger metal - I'd prefer that if one or the other is to strip or wear away, it will be the relatively easily replaced screw.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I suppose it depends on how you're set up. A friend drilled out a screw for me - or rather I think the correct term is he milled it out, using a rather large machine and devices that insure a relatively accurate job. Then he pulled the threads out like string out of a ball, and that was that. That's how it's done, but it involved literally tons of machinery, on a 3-phase electrical supply etc., and of course knowing how to use that stuff.

What I had tried was a small pilot hole and an "E Z out" reverse thread gimmick. That's not how it's done. Afterwards, everyone was kind enough to inform me that those always break, like mine did, and the piece that's left behind prevents any further attempts to use more productive approaches.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

A little repair tip for removing broken screws.... buy a set of left-hand spiral drills. Run the drill in reverse. If the drill 'hangs'... the screw will be backed out rather than pushed further inside.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
aqualung
bugler
bugler

Post by aqualung »

58mark wrote: I didn't know there was such a thing as left handed bits.
Be sure to use a left handed chuck in the drill.

And of course pull the drill trigger with your left index finger.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

In terms of shearing off screws while tightening them....I finally have found an advantage to my small stature and lack of strength. I often cannot loosen things but have never, ever, broken anything while tightening it. (well, I did have some problems with wood for a while after my year in the machine shop....) I just had to re-tighten what I'm calling the Anti-Clank Screw on my 5th valve and am happy to tighten things once a month if needed, as opposed to cranking them down to the point of shearing them off.
alfredr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by alfredr »

I don't know how to do it, but this seems to to call for a clip from "The Princess Bride" where Wesley tells Buttercup, "Softly".