Bought a JP 174L euphonium

The bulk of the musical talk
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Bought a JP 174L euphonium

Post by Alex F »

Yesterday, I visited Rich Golime, new owner of DF music, at his downtown Chicago
Denis Wick Demo studio.

I wanted To purchase a non-comp3+1 Euph at moderate cost to back up my Besson 2051 and to use when my spinal arthritis requires a lighter horn. I hadheatd positive things about the JP horns and asked Richard to order one. He had one in three days. He also had a 274L and the JP Sterling comp he wanted me to try.

I was very impressed with the 174. The fit and finish are very good. The horn is very free-blowing with a somewhat darker Bessonish tone. Bell is 11" and has a large-shank receiver. Intonation is good with some of the limitations of a non-comp. my only knock is that the valves are a bit scratchy- that may relate to the springs used. You do have to be careful unscrewing the valves. all told, however, this appears to be a great value. I bought it.

I tried the 274 L. Much nicer valves on this one. Also a free-blowing horn. Obviously heavier. Again, great fit and finish.

Finally, the JP Sterling. Best overall workmanship. Valves seemed nice but needed oil. Heaviest of the three because of the trigger. Intonation goodbased on my limited time with the horn.

All of these come wth a decent case (better IMO than the JB), and the usual mp.

As men in another post, Richard has all the DW mps available for trial. I have been playing a 4AL for years, but tried several. I found that a new style 5BL really helped with the upper register. I also tried a couple of the newer SMS but thy did not work for me. One may, kowever, be right for you.

All told, I was most impressed with DF, Richard, and the JP horns and believe them very worthy serious consideration.
Last edited by Alex F on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Bought a JP 174L euphonium

Post by Alex F »

Yes, Mark, were I looking for a comp, I might have gone for the 274 as well. Not sure that the added price of the JPS is justified by the added value. Again, I was not buying a comp so did not spend all that much time with them.

I don't know why the 174 is not marketed. Part of this is the mystique that every 10yo kid HAStohave a comp horn. Heck, there are two old guys in my community band playing beater Conn three bangers who put my playing to shame
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Bought a JP 174L euphonium

Post by Alex F »

Of course, I went with the 3+1 because I also play the Besson 2051. One caveat on the 174, it does not have the swivel piece that locks the 4th valve down, but the side valve does not stick out as far in this horn. As I recall, the JB horns have this piece, as do the higher level JPs. I do hear what Joe is saying about kids - all I have to worry about is the drummers behind me and the sax players in front.