playing after hernia surgery

The bulk of the musical talk
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

playing after hernia surgery

Post by ken k »

hello fellow tubenetters,
so I had laporoscopic (sp?) surgery last Wednesday (March 29) to repair an inguinal (?) hernia. The doc said two weeks I could play again. I hope so, I have an Easter gig.

Anyone out in Tubenetland have hernia surgery? if so how long til you played again.

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Tubainsauga

Re: playing after hernia surgery

Post by Tubainsauga »

I had an open hernia repair done on a Wednesday and was back rehearsing by the Sunday. That said, I was moving slowly and carefully and play a very light tuba (Rudy 3/4) and it wasn't without discomfort. The incision would ache after some rehearsals for maybe three weeks but everything healed up fine.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

I had bilateral hernia surgery and was back playing within 2 weeks. Heck, I went out a week after and bought a 6 Hp gas engine pressure washer and loaded & unloaded it from my suv - my doctor would not have been happy knowing that - I'm bad at being idle. :shock:

My band suffered the sad loss of a member in her thirties who had a hernia explode and wipe out 65% of her lower intestine and the doctors could do nothing to save her.

Hernias can be very dangerous and folks somestimes put off getting them taken care of.

Good Luck with you recovery!
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

My doctor was more concerned about lifting the tuba rather than playing it. If you're not going to lift it, you're probably not going to play it.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Tofu, that is terrifying. Sorry for the loss of your band member. :(
Slamson
bugler
bugler

Post by Slamson »

I had the "stereo" (both sides) done years ago and was given the OK to play in two weeks by my surgeon - but I wasn't allowed to pick up more than 15 pounds! Actually it worked out really good, since for the next three orchestra concerts the stagehands had to take my horn out of the car, and then set it in my lap on stage. Felt like I was some sort of diva.
sorry, I don't do signatures.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Laparoscopic surgery definitely eliminates a lot of the recovery as compared to open surgery, where they have to make a incisions through muscle. It's mainly just waiting for the hernia and small incisions to heal, compared to having to wait for the muscle wall to heal and go through rehab.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

Thanks for the replies. I feel I am pretty much back to normal now after three weeks. Was playing after two weeks, Played Easter with no problems.

It is amazing how much you use your abdominal muscles without realizing it. The first week was uncomfortable, especially if I sneezed or coughed. Once I was sitting or standing I was OK, but trying to move from one of those positions to the other was not fun.

All in all however, not bad.
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650