Boil your mouthpiece?

The bulk of the musical talk
oldbandnerd
5 valves
5 valves

Boil your mouthpiece?

Post by oldbandnerd »

I saw a YOUTUBE video about cleaning your euphonium and the person in the video said to boil your mouthpiece and then quickly cool it off under cold running water. I can see how this would sanitize it but can it damage it in anyway? Wouldn't it destroy the silver on it ?
I've never had so much gunk built up in my mouthpiece that I needed to boil it to clean it out. Whats he doing that it gets so funky ?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Boil your mouthpiece?

Post by bort »

I quick-cool first, and then boil.
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeW »

Probably best to treat it like a baby's bottle, either boil it, or dunk it in a vat of disinfectant. Don't forget to rinse, or the baby will throw up.
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

I put mouthpieces in the dishwasher every so often.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

It's best if you just boil the whole tuba and save a step.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

oldbandnerd wrote: I've never had so much gunk built up in my mouthpiece that I needed to boil it to clean it out. Whats he doing that it gets so funky ?
Not gunk, herpes. :shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

well, if you have herpes boiling the mouthpiece isn't going to fix it. You have to boil yourself.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

An ordinary pressure cooker will serve for a moderately high temperature option. That's the same principle as the autoclave used to sterilize laboratory and clinic glassware and stuff. Pressurized steam at 250°F will destroy all forms of microbial life. Ordinary kitchen pressure cookers can do that, though medical-quality sterilization takes some technique. If in doubt, run it longer. You're looking for a 15 psi setting, which likely is higher than what you get in cookers with only one pressure regulator weight. Put water in the cooker, set the mouthpiece above the water, latch down the lid, and start the range burner. Wait until steam comes out before you install the regulator. When the regulator starts rocking, you can turn the burner down a little. Keep that going for a half hour (so put plenty of water in beforehand.)

Ideally, it would be better to sterilize the mouthpiece together with a jar, with the mouthpiece inside the jar, so it doesn't become contaminated again right away afterwards. Don't seal the jar tight.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

If the issue is microbial, not livestock droppings, plasmodial or acellular slime molds (used to be classified as Myxomycota) would be the most useful natural remedy. They're common in nature and they eat bacteria and fungus spores. While they have a limited ability to get around above ground, their habitat is really rotted wood and the like, so the best bet would be to bury the mouthpiece in a flower bed or something, with a high proportion of organic matter like leaf mold or maybe sawdust. The big pile of spent coffee grounds out back gets regular slime mold flushes, so that appears to be a good bet, but mix with a little regular dirt to get things going faster, and be liberal with the whole thing, shovels full of organic matter is better than a handful.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Boiling your mpc seems a little extreme, unless it's really gross.

I've never boiled any mpc. I just wipe mine out with a rag & disinfectant spray every other rehearsal or so. I will wash them with soap and warm water and a little bristle brush for the backbore/shank only when they are really dirty/nasty :idea:
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

The ONLY way to effectively sterilize a mouthpiece...

Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote:Wouldn't boiling and quick-cooling a mouthpiece waste natural resources ~and~ contribute to climate change as well?
Not to mention the strain of using 3-phase electrical wiring, if one were to undergo this procedure properly.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Thin coat of copper. It has significant anti-microbial action (I'm not making this up.)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Wait for tonal properties to be discovered. I predict, darker.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Donn wrote:Thin coat of copper. It has significant anti-microbial action (I'm not making this up.)
Silver also has significant antimicrobial properties.

If you are gonna go all out, get an autoclave or something more powerful.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Can't.

My spendmoneyaphobia is the only thing worse than my germaphobia!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Three Valves wrote:Can't.

I assume the spendmoneyphobia doesn't apply to tuba money?
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

tbonesullivan wrote:
Three Valves wrote:Can't.

I assume the spendmoneyphobia doesn't apply to tuba money?
It does.

I only buy cheap tubas!! :oops:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:
- If you're an incurable germaphobe, and something inside of you compels you to use an anti-bacterial product (in addition to the liquid soap and hot water, you can soak your mouthpiece in this:
...the only problem being that there will be quite a bit left over... :roll:
I thought you were supposed to drink that BEFORE you play. :shock:
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

bloke wrote:Why not just put a thin coating of plastic on the mouthpiece - to seal the mouthpiece from any sort of germs, bacteria, viruses, dirt, chemicals, or other contaminants?
A thin coating of latex is 98% effective in sealing out any sort of germs, bacteria, viruses and other contaminants. Some players, however, find that it interferes with subtle aspects of their playing and inhibits resolution in ensemble work.