Rotary vs piston

The bulk of the musical talk
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Rotary vs piston

Post by TUbajohn20J »

You could always find a short action valve tuba. Yes they are mostly 6/4 size but the valve travel is about the same length as a trumpet. Some people hate them, but I'm so spoiled with mine now I hate to even play a long action! Conn and Holton made them.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

tbonesullivan wrote:That's interesting! It's a rotary designed to play like a piston trumpet. The change in ergonomics must be confusing for many trumpet players who play both.
Actually, a pretty old concept - the date on this patent is 1854.

I guess you've got the best (or worst) of both worlds.... :shock:
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Today a new tuba student came to me for his trial lesson. He brought a rotary-valve tuba which he has owned for several years. It was in good condition except for the first valve, which was sluggish, perhaps from accumulated gunk. He had figured out how to lift that paddle with his index finger, press it down with his second finger, and use his third finger for the second valve, but it was slowing him down. If I had brought some tools with me I could have taken it apart, cleaned it, and re-assembled it during our allotted 45 minutes, but I would not have had time to evaluate his playing. If it had been a piston I could have made it work in about 3 minutes.
Brand-new good quality rotary valves are wonderful. Older rotaries that have been serviced by a good and well-paid technician are also great. But old pistons are dependable and inexpensive to maintain.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Yeah, that sounds like it needs some work. Thankfully all of my trombones are relatively new and all well-maintained, so I have no action issues. Well, except that it's not a slide.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones