Euph on church bass trombone gigs and other misc parts?

The bulk of the musical talk
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Euph on church bass trombone gigs and other misc parts?

Post by Bob Kolada »

Does anyone have any experience with playing euphonium as a utility low brass instrument, particularly on church service bass trombone parts (seemingly always a 4 part group)? How does one react to a contractor trying to find a bass trombonist for such a gig? I still have my bass, and a small cimbasso which isn't fully chromatic, and am a competent player but shoulder and elbow issues are drawing me further and further from the chainsaw.
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Re: Euph on church bass trombone gigs and other misc parts?

Post by Will Jones »

I would always ask if they wanted me to play trombone, or if they wanted me to sound good and actually fit in the place they wanted me to sit.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

The question hardly can be replied to without knowing the composition of the ensemble. If the quartet is two trumpets and a tenor trombone plus you, then I wouldn’t find a euphonium a brilliant idea.

If the quartet is trumpet, horn, tenor trombone, and you, then a euphonium would be more relevant, as the trumpet and the trombone will have to moderate their playing because of the horn.

A compensating euphonium with a main tuning slide trigger can play quite precisely in tune in the low range like a bass trombone can do.

Klaus
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Will Jones wrote:I would always ask if they wanted me to play trombone, or if they wanted me to sound good and actually fit in the place they wanted me to sit.
I'm curious which they choose. I'm guessing trombone?

I'm a big fan of the Courtois bass saxhorn, for a valved conical that apparently can push the low end of the envelope, but maybe not as a $7K option for church gigs that probably wouldn't impress contractors anyway. Good luck with the arm issues; right arm, I suppose, where a lighter bass trombone wouldn't be any help.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

I think for a four part group it will work fine.

If you have to play against a pipe organ I think it will disappear. I played in church last week against a pipe organ (unfamiliar hymn, he wanted the melody reinforced for the choir). The recording showed anything below middle C totally covered by organ. Trombone wasn't really present until Eb. I think euph might be even worse.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Most of these gigs I've played have been two trumpets, one tenor trombone, and a bass trombone. Looking back, none of them would have had any disadvantage with a euph on the bottom. I think it'd be a neat mini-quintet type sound, especially with cornets on the top (which no-one in Chicago seems to play anywhere outside of brass band).
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

Donn wrote:
Will Jones wrote:I would always ask if they wanted me to play trombone, or if they wanted me to sound good and actually fit in the place they wanted me to sit.
I'm curious which they choose. I'm guessing trombone?

I'm a big fan of the Courtois bass saxhorn, for a valved conical that apparently can push the low end of the envelope, but maybe not as a $7K option for church gigs that probably wouldn't impress contractors anyway. Good luck with the arm issues; right arm, I suppose, where a lighter bass trombone wouldn't be any help.
Nope!
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Bob Kolada wrote:Most of these gigs I've played have been two trumpets, one tenor trombone, and a bass trombone. Looking back, none of them would have had any disadvantage with a euph on the bottom. I think it'd be a neat mini-quintet type sound, especially with cornets on the top (which no-one in Chicago seems to play anywhere outside of brass band).
Cornets would make the euph much more relevant. Especially if played in the rounder rather than in the shrill style.

I like colours even in small ensembles, but my experience says that there has to be an overlap between the overtone patterns of all members to create a good ensemble sound.

Klaus