PT3

The bulk of the musical talk
iaatuba19
lurker
lurker

PT3

Post by iaatuba19 »

Hi, I am considering getting a PT3. I just had a couple questions that I hope can be anwered and if I did think of anything please add it in.
1) Will the horn itself hold up over a couple years? I am a sophomore in high school and would need it to at least last me through college.
2) I know that each horn is different but is there something that is very common that would need to be adjusted for?
3) General intonation and tuning.
4) Low register.
5) 4 piston and 1 rotary or all five rotary?

Thank you!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: PT3

Post by bort »

I used a GDR PT3 in college, here are my experiences:

1) In terms of build quality, B&S tubas are great. Take care of it with regular maintenance and do your best to avoid damage, and it will last a very long time. Then again, that's true of just about any tuba.

2) Not that I remember.

3) Nothing serious. I remember doing very little, if any, slide pulling. I really don't like pulling slides, and I don't remember anything problematic.

4) Bigger than you'd think, but it's still not really a large tuba. It's very much a 4/4 tuba (actually, it's 4/4 CC tuba with an F tuba bell). The tuba and its sound are both rather compact, but the bore is pretty decent so it will take a lot of air. No, it won't sound like a 6/4 tuba... but that's not what it's designed to do.

5) The one I used was 5 rotary. Can't comment on the 4P1R.

Overall, I think the PT3 is a fine tuba, but it might be a little smaller than what you want it to be. I also think it's unreasonable to expect that a tuba will last you from 10th grade through college, because you will develop tremendously as a player (and as a human!) during those years. I think the PT3 can do everything, but for teh big stuff it's going to be a lot of work, and it just isn't going to ever be a "big" tuba.

I am currently considering a PT20, which is in many ways similar to the PT3, but a larger and true 4/4 CC tuba. Hope that helps a little... :tuba:
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Re: PT3

Post by swillafew »

A horn that size is very practical. I haven't played that model, but a PT-20p that I played was fantastic. Be patient and get a good price. I sit in a band now next to a man who bought his horn (used) 47 years ago and it's holding up fine.
MORE AIR