Leather Gig Bags

The bulk of the musical talk
Jay Bertolet
pro musician
pro musician

Leather Gig Bags

Post by Jay Bertolet »

Hey guys, I have a question for you:

My Altieri gig bag for my Nirschl York Copy is wearing out finally. Not bad for a case over 20 years old and not even made for the Nirschl (I originally bought that case for a Cerveny 601). In preparing to buy a new gig bag for the horn, I am considering other options. One option I have always liked is a real leather bag. I know it will be heavier and I expect to deal with that if I can find one. However, finding one is the problem. With Chronkite retiring and the uncertainty of the new owner providing leather tuba bags (I contacted Horn Guys and they told me to contact them again near the end of the year and they might have more answers), I'm left with no other choices that I'm aware of. Is anyone else doing these leather gig bags for tuba? If you have any info, it would be most welcome!
My opinion for what it's worth...

Principal Tuba - Miami Symphony, Kravis Pops
Tuba/Euphonium Instructor - Florida International University,
Broward College, Miami Summer Music Festival
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Leather Gig Bags

Post by Rick F »

I was going to say the same thing about a silver horn in leather bag. I have a Cronkhite leather gig bag for my Yamaha 641S. It would show tarnish pretty quickly. The thing I did to control this was make a sack of Pacific Silver cloth with a draw string to put the horn in first. This worked, but extra effort in putting the horn away. Lacquer finished horn would be fine in a leather gig bag however. I assume it's the chemical used in the tanning process of leather that causes this but not positive.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Leather Gig Bags

Post by Jess Haney »

I have both of my horns in leather Cronkhite bags and both have not tarnished in several years. But my climate has low humidity.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.