To hell e berg

The bulk of the musical talk
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

To hell e berg

Post by pjv »

I purchased a Dillon H1 (Helleberg-type mouthpiece) some time ago. It has an absolutly beautiful sound, but I just can't seem to get the low end pumping. I had to switch back to my old Marcinkiewicz N.4 (Tommy Johnson Model) and "pop", got my effortless low register back (and the highs, etc.). Unfortunatly it just doesn't have that sound like the H1. I really like the H1 sound, but I got to have the snappy front end to do the work I do, in all registers. Anyone got any ideas about how to get this mouthpiece to work?
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

Practice.

Ralph
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Check the respective throat sizes.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

What horn are you playing on?
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

When I started out as a musician, I first started working on my own problems. Every once in a while I switched my horn or my mouthpiece, usually following advice-trends-intuition. Eventually I felt secure enough to look for tubas that work better for what I'm doing. Now its the mouthpieces turn.

I've practiced ALOT on the helleberg and performed alot on it as well. But before I draw the conclusion that this piece of equipment is not the right one for me personally, I thought I'd throw it in the group.

Its not just that the low end "backs up"; the entire range on the H1 is less responsive (for me). It seems like the lower register blows slower-that the mouthpiece responds slower than my N.4

The N.4 (which is a Miraphone C4 variant I believe) has a smaller throat, a larger rim, and is a cup mouthpiece. My reasoning says find another mouthpiece that sounds more like the H1 and responds more like your N4. Before I spend the bucks, I was curious if other players have had this kind of trouble. Does this sound like a Helleburg thing, or does it sound like a throat-rim-backbore thing. (Like I said, I'm rather new to the mouthpiece experiment world)

Mostly I play on a Conn 36J and a Conn 40K.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

thanks for the tips