Long Term Storage

The bulk of the musical talk
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Long Term Storage

Post by swillafew »

I just today received a new horn. There is an extra slide for the 5th valve that I plan to store.

Anybody have a good method of preventing corrosion or tarnish or whatever?

Thanks!
MORE AIR
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Long Term Storage

Post by bort »

Ooh, what did you get?
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Hi John. Always fun to get delivery of a new horn. On storing the extra slide I would say to keep it clean and of all things, DRY. Grease and oils will eventually lose moisture and harden in a few years and then you have a mess to clean. Perhaps if you also wrap in in a soft cloth, free of chemicals that could cause tarnish to silver or deterioration to lacquer. I recall that scene in Woody Allen's "Sleeper" where after several hundred years, this old VW that was sitting in a cave, just happens to start on the first crank. Now that is good storage... (I'm still trying to figure out how that car batterie lasted all that time and that the gasoline did not eventually evaporate. But hey, its all just a movie.)
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Bort: the horn on the left arrived yesterday, PT6. Horn on the right is GR51 that has been my main horn for 7 years.

Paul: thanks for the reply. I also like Woody Allen, I used to see all his shows at the theatre.

This is my first CC tuba after lifetime on BBb. I was motivated especially to have a 5th valve. So far, I am surprised to find that the high register is whipping the low register in the process of learning the horn. This is using a PT50 that was included in the sale.
MORE AIR
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

That's awesome,congrats! Keep at it, the low register is there!
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Sweet!!!
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Don't store it in plastic. Plastic will tarnish the hell out of it.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

You can probably get a Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor to store with it that should keep the corrosion off.

Any reason why you switched from BBb to CC aside from the 5th valve? There are BB's with 5th valves on them out there.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Any reason why you switched from BBb to CC aside from the 5th valve?
I was looking all over for the more compact horns, and was not finding anything that floated my boat. I was afraid of getting some models without trying them first. This horn was an eBay purchase, like they said in a famous movie, "it was an offer I couldn't refuse".
MORE AIR
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

swillafew wrote:I was looking all over for the more compact horns, and was not finding anything that floated my boat. I was afraid of getting some models without trying them first. This horn was an eBay purchase, like they said in a famous movie, "it was an offer I couldn't refuse".
That I understand. I picked up a Yamaha 612 RII bass trombone for just under 1K on ebay some years ago. Used versions of the predecessor the regular 612 usually went for over 2k. Didn't take me much convincing. I still have limited tuba experience, but yes BBb tubas are big. I'm probably going to start out with an Eb for that reason. Now if only they weren't so darned expensive compared to BBb and CC tubas.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones