What's the best complement you've ever had ?

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaSteve
bugler
bugler

Re: What's the best complement you've ever had ?

Post by TubaSteve »

Well these are fun to read!

1) A few weeks ago on the way into a dress rehearsal I as carrying my 5/4 horn in, and a very attractive security guard looked at me....."Wow, that's a big one!" :lol: We both broke out laughing!

2) A member of our "Pop's" band, a director an outstanding trumpet player in the Navy band, turns around and gives me a great big thumb's up sign when I play my Reynolds Sousaphone. (This horn has the most beautiful sound, and plays wonderfully)

3) At a concert a few months ago, my wife and I were in the audience while another group was doing their portion of the performance, when a lady went up to my wife and told her that "I go to all of his concerts!"

Steve
MW-25, 2-Reynolds 170 (BBb Recording Bass), Reynolds 180 (EEb Recording Bass) , 2-Reynolds 140 Sousaphones, Holton 350, others.....
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

After a church orchestra concert in which I played bass guitar, the director gave me a check. I opened it and said, "Whoa, you've overpaid me. Remember, I missed a rehearsal." He told me, "I didn't pay you by the agreement. I paid you what you're worth."
Last edited by GC on Fri May 05, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

"Can you loan me $2000? My daughter wants to learn tuba now because of you."
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

bloke wrote: Gee...
I just can't seem to figure it out, given only those minor details.
I think, just to shake things up, he might have tried A diminished key...
Last edited by windshieldbug on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

[quote="Steve Marcus"]
If Brahms had composed a 5th Symphony, in what key would it have been written?

Eb minor?
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

After playing the 1st tuba part in John Steven's "Benediction", several people from my old home town complimented the performance including one who said, "that's and new horn isn't it?" (I played in on a 1912 Martin that I've had since 1978). The compliment was for my restored horn not my playing.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

bloke wrote:
Steve Marcus wrote:
Steve Marcus wrote:
Clue:

Consider the keys in which Brahms' four symphonies are composed.
Gee...
I just can't seem to figure it out, given only those minor details.
I promise that Charlie Pikler's answer, while only slightly contrived, will make sense.

Z-Tuba Dude guessed:
Eb minor?
Nope, although I'd be curious how you came up with that answer.

OK, so that we're all on the same page (literally and figuratively), the keys in which Brahms composed his four symphonies are:

1. C Major
2. D Major (the answer has nothing to do with the fact that this is the only symphony of the four that is scored with tuba)
3. F Major
4. e minor

The next clue will be meatier.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

I've received the standard "Good job!" and "Well done!" compliments, but I think the best one was being asked for a business card after playing a polka gig because the guy needed a tuba player for his group! I didn't have a business card (still don't...but how many tuba players do?), but I gave him my name and number on a napkin!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Steve Marcus wrote:
The keys in which Brahms composed his four symphonies are:

1. C Major
2. D Major (the answer has nothing to do with the fact that this is the only symphony of the four that is scored with tuba)
3. F Major
4. e minor
Two clues on this installment:

1. C-D-F-e is NOT an acronym.

2. Hum or play the four notes that correspond to those key names. Recognize what you're hearing?
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

bloke wrote:
Steve Marcus wrote:Hum or play the four notes that correspond to those key names. Recognize what you're hearing?
ok...Now what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbQjDxA7g-M :|
Bloke, your response is a correct one...but not the only one. So here's a more specific clue:

In the snippet "C-D-F-E," the first note is the tonic key of that "tune."
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
TubaSteve
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaSteve »

Another great compliment I had was from several years ago. This was the 4th of July, and as you all know, it is a very busy time if you play in community and pop's bands. We had done several parades on that day, but our city actually holds their parade on the Sunday closest to the 4th. It is actually a pretty good idea as the bands that are in the area can make the gig and you don't have to compete for everyone else who has a parade on the 4th. Well, I was at an ice cream social after my 3rd parade, and was relaxing for a few minutes before I had to get ready and set the stage for the fireworks concert a few hours later. My wife and I and our 3 kids were sitting down, and struck up a conversation with a couple sitting across the table from us. We chatted for a while, usual stuff, when the subject of the city parade that by now had been 4 days earlier. The lady spoke up, and said, "You know what was the best thing about that parade?" "No what?" There was a truck driving by with a band on the back. On the back of the truck was a tuba player who had these American flags lining his bell." I could have fallen over. :shock: Hey, that was me! What are the odds that in 5 divisions and a pre division, that the one thing this lady noticed was my dumb flags on my bell. Then she happened to be sitting next to me 4 days later, and bring up the topic to me. Ever since then, the flags are part of my tradition and will always be so. It turned out that someone took a photo of me and won a blue ribbon at the county fair.......No, I am not good looking. 8)
MW-25, 2-Reynolds 170 (BBb Recording Bass), Reynolds 180 (EEb Recording Bass) , 2-Reynolds 140 Sousaphones, Holton 350, others.....
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Hum or play the four notes that correspond to those key names. Recognize what you're hearing?
Alright, since you're reaching for a lifeline, here's the big clue:

Jupiter Symphony

P.S. Side point and acknowledgement: Brahms 2, like many other pieces, might sound great on a jumbo sousaphone
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ulli »

:?: :?: I get never a compliment. I am a tubist. :cry: :tuba:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Ulli wrote::?: :?: I get never a compliment. I am a tubist. :cry: :tuba:
If I were an emotionally needy attention #%!$@ and seeker of accolades, I'd play the trumpet!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
ECUorchbound
bugler
bugler

Post by ECUorchbound »

This one sticks with me.

Playing with the Mankato Symphony, we did Carmina Burana earlier this month. I had an older gentleman come up to me and told me how he'd sung the bass part for the piece many times in the past 30 years and today was the first time he really heard the tuba. And he absolutely loved it! Said he kept purposely listening for the tuba because he enjoyed the part and the sound I was creating so much. He left by giving me a rousing bravo.

I think the best compliments come from when people appreciate the long and LOUD notes.
Jacob Daniel

Freelance Musician and Educator
B&S PT-6
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

"That was good. Let's go to the next piece." Arnold Jacobs in a lesson in the 1970's.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Steve Marcus wrote:
Hum or play the four notes that correspond to those key names. Recognize what you're hearing?

Here's the big clue:

Jupiter Symphony
4th movement (final clue)

The next comment will be the answer to the riddle and its explanation. Hopefully, that will come from someone else who has figured out Charlie Pikler's riddle.
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Me, casually asking the poor soul in front of me: "Can you hear me okay?"
The poor soul in front of me: *rubbing ears* "WHAT? Holy f***...!"

-----
After a particular Shostakovich lick with all six of us doing a pretty good job of the double-tongued 16th note runs: "Contras!.. Wow!"
-----

Robert Smith, going down the line, telling each contra, "Flat... sharp... just a little sharp... flat, too... not bad..." and getting to me says, "We're tuning to YOU."
-----

Playing Battle Hymn Of The Republic for the umpteenth time (pick a year, any year) and, during the low brass chorale in the bridge, seeing a woman in the crowd reach for some tissues out of her purse and dab the tears in her eyes.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Steve Marcus wrote:
Steve Marcus wrote:

Here's the big clue:

Jupiter Symphony
4th movement (final clue)

The next comment will be the answer to the riddle and its explanation.
The first melody notes of the 4th movement of Mozart's Symphony No. 41 "Jupiter" are C-D-F-E. So the key of the hypothetical Brahms 5th Symphony would have been...A, because that's the NEXT melody note in that Mozart movement.

Brahms loved the music of Mozart. He also loved practical jokes. This is one of the reasons why Charlie Pikler's riddle is very clever. It's also, perhaps, a bit contrived (which is why I posted it under "What's the best compliment you ever had" because the conductor who presented it to me was surprised and impressed that I got the intended answer--especially since I'm not usually very good at riddles).

Thanks for following along. Alex Trebek I'm not.
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

"Your conducting not only directs the band and brings out the best sounds, but also entertains the audience. You gesticulate like a mad professor."
- a person from the audience after a community concert
J. Handley
Eb Tuba
Melbourne, Australia